Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Achieving an Accurate 1/4" Seam Allowance

Blog Entries
    Great information...thanks so much.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thanks for the ideas. This was my major problem when I attempted to do a Morning Star quilt block. I will now go back and try again. Was so frustrated last year with this 1/4 seam that I put the project away. Let you know how it works for me.

thank you very much fo rthis tutorial.. it is a good idea
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

This is very clear and a great way to get that 1/4 in seam. I have a foot for one machine, but not for my old one. However I don't get the SCANT part at all. Trying to move a needle one or two threads seems silly. Wish it would just go away once and for all. I say the patterns should just use the 1/4 in seam and be done with it.

QuiltingWolf, Gorgeous Roses in your Avatar!

Blog Entries
    Instead of masking tape I use moleskin. It's thicker and will last longer than tape. Nice tutorial.
    sewellie

iamjet, you're only measuring the center strip of fabric. It lost 1/4 in. off each side, so should be 1" after sewing.

I think I will use this to see if my 1/4 in foot is accurate. Thanks.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    My machine is an oldie but a goodie BUT I don't have the needle adjust so how would I go about using the graph?

Power Poster
    Seam allowance is only one factor in getting a block to end up being the expected/hoped for size.

Was the fabric washed/shrunk before cutting? If starched/sized - the moisture and heat when it's pressed can change the size of SOME fabrics. Steam pressing can also shrink SOME unwashed fabrics.

Size of the pieces - ruler placement can make them vary up to 1/16 or an inch or more - Quilter's Rule has really thick lines - so I don't use it now.

Even using the fine lines on the rulers I use now as guides, I've noticed that my 2.5 (2-1/2) inch strips are actually about 2.52 (2-17/33) inches wide. If you use the shape-cut ruler or die cut pieces, they might be a bit smaller.

Thread thickness - some think this really matters -

Pressing techniques - try not to stretch the fabric - but make sure that there are no pleats by the seams

Seam width matters - but what really matters is that the unit or block ends up being the expected/wanted size.

Hi Janet

You only measure the center strip not all three strips.

Kitty

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast