Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Achieving an Accurate 1/4" Seam Allowance >

Achieving an Accurate 1/4" Seam Allowance

Achieving an Accurate 1/4" Seam Allowance

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Great information. I have a Slimpicity and I can only move my needle to the right or left. Are there machines that the needles move more than that? I use the outside of my foot and I seem to get a true 1/4" seam and it works fine as long as I pay attention all the way to the end. When I have to try for a scant I am not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. How do you cover the feed dogs? Thanks for the thread. BrendaK
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Well, thank you so much! In the quilt classes I have taken, no one has every addressed the quarter inch
sewing problem. You make it very clear and I really needed this info years ago. Thought I was just bad at
stitching accurate 1/4" seams.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for posting this!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 AM

An index card also works great.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 AM

I always pass this along to beginner quilters.Thanks for posting tute......
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM

Thank you. That accurate seam allowance is so important.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:49 PM

Unless I was making a quilt for a quilt show and I never will, as long as all my seams are sewn the same my quilt may be an inch smaller in the end but it will all work out. When I made my first quilt (my aviar) no one told me points were hard, no problem here, or that the seam allowance made a difference, no problem again, my quilt may not be the exact size but keeps me warm, fits my bed and even tho it was a first and I just bought quarter yard cuts it worked out just fine. This is one thing I do not stress over. And horror of horrors I used a sheet for the back and hand quilted it

Last edited by Up North; 03-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iamjanet View Post
How could it measure only one inch? Three strips - each 1-1/2" wide. Total width, before sewing, 4-1/2". Subtract 1/4" seam allowance from the two center pieces, total 1" in seam allowances. That leaves the width at 3-1/2".

What am I missing here?
Janet
The center strip should measure one inch "finished" width - the part that will be "showing" when the item is complete.

The "unit" of three strips should measure 3-1/2 inches wide after sewing the three strips together.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Another place where fabric can "change size" - if/when pressing unwashed pieces with steam - once in a while some of the pieces shrink.

I have measured hundreds of pieces of fabric before and after washing (my method - which involves using hot water) to see if, in fact, there was shrinkage. in most cases there is some shrinkage. I have had shrinkage of over two inches in width in the Michael Miller black. Most fabrics seemed to shrink more in one direction than the other.

Because I prefer a flat as possible finished product, I do the wash before cutting process of all washable components - but many people feel that doing so is a waste of time, effort, water, and detergent.

I just washed some very tightly woven cotton fabric that I would have sworn would not shrink at all - it shrank over an inch in length!

I have noticed that several bag/purse patterns (Simplicity) are now saying to wash the fabrics before starting.

As others have said - seam width is only one of the places to look/consider when things are not turning out as expected.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:01 AM

thank you , never know where to get the info when I need it, very good explanation to all of this. It can be very confusing and discouraging all at the same time.