Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial >

Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial

Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial

Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Keeps Them In Stitches
I have bookmarked your Tut on t he Bow Tuck Tote as I appreciate the visual aids.

It looks like you are using the PFF (Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece). Would your recommend using regular batting as a substitute? Or could that make it too bulky?
I see no problem with it. I know others have used regular batting and basting spray. I haven't tried it. I have used NON fusible fleece and just ran basting stitch around the edge of it to the fabric.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM

I ordered my Bow Tucks pattern from Henrietta's Handbags. They used to have free shipping on patterns, but now charge $1.39 for shipping, which is not bad, when you consider what some charge. The pattern was $9.00.....I like Henrietta's because they are very nice to deal with and I get fast delivery. I looked at other Bow Tucks pattern prices, but some had shipping charges that were too high and I have become a little reluctant to order from E-bay because of a less than positive experience.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Keeps Them In Stitches
I have bookmarked your Tut on t he Bow Tuck Tote as I appreciate the visual aids.

It looks like you are using the PFF (Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece). Would your recommend using regular batting as a substitute? Or could that make it too bulky?

I have made several bow tucks bags along with a few other quilted bags and have used both regular batting and pellon fusible fleece. Regular batting works fine but I find that it makes a more flimsy bag instead of a bulky one.

The fusible fleece makes a wonderful bag. Since I started using the fusible fleece, I will never go back to regular batting for bags. The fleece makes such a nice smooth and stiffer bag over all. And for me it is easier to quilt the bag using the fleece. Also, my handles are always nice and perky and they don't need any extra stuff inside to make them stand up on their own. No more flimsy handles. I love how my bags turn out with using the fusible fleece.

Here are some links of the bow tucks bags I have made:

http://quilteddelights.blogspot.com/...tucks-bag.html
http://quilteddelights.blogspot.com/...t-smaller.html
http://quilteddelights.blogspot.com/...t-machine.html
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 AM

I definitely like to fusible better too. Everything u said about it being more perky is right on the money.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 AM

I was so green looking at everyones Bow Tucks, I bought the pattern at Lindas Country Quilts ( my fav. quilt shop). I must tell you, Iam a lil nervouse about making this, so I am very thankfull that I have this to fall back on for help! Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM

I'm glad this is helping everyone! Warm fuzzy feeling :)
You're so welcome!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

thank you so much for the visuals. I have made a Bow Tuck Bag, but somehow messed up on the side ties. Ater looking at your picture, I know exactly what I did wrong. I am also a visual learner. I bought a kit at the LQS and was afraid to cut the material, as I didn't want to mess up such beautiful fabric, so I used the pattern and old fabric in my stash as a "demo." DD loved it so I gave it to her for a diaper bag. Can't wait to make more.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM

I have a tip. We get shoppers in the mail all the time. So I took newspaper and cut n taped it together bfore I made my first one. I do this a lot now. Helped a TON.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Dumb question: Did you wash your fabric before making the purse?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Nope. I don't wash fabric first 95% of the time on anything. Also, when i made some samples of a different bag for a designer, she asked that the fabric not be washed first.

There are lots of topics on the subject if you try the search at the top of any page.

Okay by me, less time taken away from sewing :)