Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiffon Leaves

Chiffon Leaves

This is a relatively quick process, so I thought I post the Chiffon leaves first. I made this one, Poplar leaves, this afternoon in about 3 hours.
    Draw or trace a leaf of your choice bearing mind how it changes colour through the season. I chose a poplar leaf this time.
    Trace this onto a washaway stabilizer and stitch carefully to one layer of chiffon.
    A single layer of chiffon is usually not sufficient to get the colour intensity. Try layering colours as well as simply doubling the material. The darkest leaf here is actually a green over a navy.
    Black is my choice of background, White or pale colours don't bring out the colour. Layer your batting and backing and use a walking foot so as not to distort the chiffon.
    Satin stitch over the single line with the multiple layers of chiffon underneath. Stitch each leaf in place with a 2mm satin stitch.
    CAREFULLY cut away the extra on the outer edge, then tease or tear the stabilizer on the insides and pull it off. Any you don't get off will rinse away.
    Finish the leaf with veins and a stem, satin stitch or straight stitch.
    Place the other leaves one by one, completely finishing the stitching before you add the next,.
    Finish the piece with quilting if your choice. I like to shadow quilt for at least an inch and then meander to fill the edges.
    Have fun with these. I'd love to see your results.
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1479.jpg   img_1463.jpg   img_1464.jpg   img_1466.jpg   img_1468.jpg  

img_1473.jpg   img_1478.jpg  
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.ca

Thanks for the tute!

Do you need to use a heavier needle as you satin stitch the last layer - when you are likely to hit multiple layers of satin stitching from the leaves underneath?

Alison

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tute! these would look great appilqued on sweat shirts.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Thanks for the tute!

Do you need to use a heavier needle as you satin stitch the last layer - when you are likely to hit multiple layers of satin stitching from the leaves underneath?

Alison
    You shouldn't have any problems with thread breaking. This is pretty light stuff no matter how many layers. I have taken to using a Top stitchimg needle for everything but sewing but your regular needle of choice should be fine for this.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.ca

How pretty they are.
    DEB CAVAN

HI MaryKatherine! Thanks so much for the tute.

I have to check our fabric stores for chiffon.
    I am going to try this as soon as my tree/decorations are down and packed away.
    I have to give up my sewing room(aka the corner of the living area) for the holiday season.

Have a healthy and happy 2013!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tut
    Nancy in western NY

Power Poster
    Beautiful leaves and thanks for taking the time to do this lovely tutorial for us.

Love the lesson - I can't wait to give it a try - Leaves are my thing - and yours are georgous!

Thank you for sharing the tutorial. They are lovely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast