Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79

Thread: Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

  1. #41
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,219
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SueDor

  2. #42
    Super Member azam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks Glenn! Can't wait for spring so that I can "Restore" my Mom's treadle. I want her to be beautiful again. Do you have any tips on cleaning the iron on her?

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    694
    Thanks again, Glenn. Another great tut from "the Skipper."

  4. #44
    Super Member Rodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    1,687
    Tropit thanks for finding this. Glenn thanks for the tutorial. This might be just what I need for the Singer 27 treadle I'm starting on. There's some veneer that really can't be saved but this should clean up the rest of the wood quite nicely.
    Rodney

  5. #45
    Member Smorris17119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    43

    Any guess what type of veneer this is.

    Does anyone know what type of veneer this
    is? I have to replace part of it. I think mahogany but my husband says it's oak only to find
    out he has a sheet of oak in the garage and I think he's saying that so It will get used up.
    While we're at it any guess on stain color.
    Attachment 470902
    Sharon
    NH
    221K Featherweight 1968 white, 221 Featherweight Centennial,
    221 Featherweight 1948 sad condition I think she wants to be pink

  6. #46
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorris17119 View Post
    Does anyone know what type of veneer this is? I have to replace part of it. I think mahogany but my husband says it's oak only to find out he has a sheet of oak in the garage and I think he's saying that so It will get used up. While we're at it any guess on stain color.
    Attachment 470902
    Oak it should be. Most of my cabinets appear to have been stained mahogany or dark oak, with age applying a patina. I would try to apply a stain or mix of stains to achieve the best color match.
    Sweet Caroline

  7. #47
    Member Smorris17119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Oak it should be. Most of my cabinets appear to have been stained mahogany or dark oak, with age applying a patina. I would try to apply a stain or mix of stains to achieve the best color match.
    Nooooo please don't tell me my husband was right AGAIN!!! He'll never let me live this down.
    But thank you anyway.
    Sharon
    NH
    221K Featherweight 1968 white, 221 Featherweight Centennial,
    221 Featherweight 1948 sad condition I think she wants to be pink

  8. #48
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorris17119 View Post
    Nooooo please don't tell me my husband was right AGAIN!!! He'll never let me live this down. But thank you anyway.
    Perhaps we are both wrong. Read this interesting link about Singer and it's cabinet factories. If your DH is into wood he should find it interesting also.
    http://www.core77.com/blog/business/...pany_22760.asp
    Sweet Caroline

  9. #49
    Member Smorris17119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Perhaps we are both wrong. Read this interesting link about Singer and it's cabinet factories. If your DH is into wood he should find it interesting also.
    http://www.core77.com/blog/business/...pany_22760.asp
    Wow that was really interesting, who knew but I know people today aren't refinishing these treadle cabinets with gum wood. I'll go with the oak since DH will be happy with a "I told you so" and if it doesn't come out right I can say he told me too.
    Sharon
    NH
    221K Featherweight 1968 white, 221 Featherweight Centennial,
    221 Featherweight 1948 sad condition I think she wants to be pink

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Perhaps we are both wrong. Read this interesting link about Singer and it's cabinet factories. If your DH is into wood he should find it interesting also.
    http://www.core77.com/blog/business/...pany_22760.asp
    Thank you Smorris for the link. Great story about veneer and "plywood".
    Thank you Glen for your restoring formula I have used it several times now. I have one question about the cleaning method, should it be don before or after I have glued some pieces back together. I have been cleaning with solution 1 and then gluing. Cleaning up after the glue has dried and then going on with 2 and 3.
    Some of these guys are so grungy they have to be cleaned before hand.
    Helenann

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.