Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing Hourglass/Pinwheel Cutting Chart

Blog Entries

Disappearing Hourglass/Pinwheel Cutting Chart

This chart will work for Disappearing Hourglass and Disappearing Pinwheel blocks.

I wanted to make MSQC's disappearing Hourglass but don't care for the method Jenny uses to create the HSTs with bias edges and wanted to use yardage rather than Layer Cakes.
    I also wanted to use sizes where the original cut squares, trimmed HSTs and 9 patch units would be cut on 1/4" increments. Didn't want to make a block that you needed to slice into 5 27/32" cuts! I put together an Excel spread sheet to calculate these sizes and thought that others could use it also. Here's my quilt:
    Disappearing Hourglass - Comfort Quilt

For general instructions on the hourglass, take a look at Tartan's excellent tutorial, or the MSQC's YouTube videos:
    Disappearing Hourglass 12 and 1/2
    Skip the first 2 pictures and construct the HST units using the 'draw diagonal line' method, then follow the rest of the general directions.
    Remember that in Tartan's (and Jenny's) instructions, you make 4 HSTs from 2 squares. In this method, a light & dark pair will yield only 2 HSTs, so you need 2 light & 2 dark squares for each completed hourglass or pinwheel.
    Name:  hstChart.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  200.3 KB

Column "A" - cut squares to prepare the HSTs. You will need to cut TWO light & TWO dark squares for each block.
    Column "B" - pair a light & dark square, draw a diagonal line, sew 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. Cut on line then trim to the size indicated. Do this with both light/dark pairs, resulting in 4 HST patches.
    http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...-triangle.html
    Column "C" - Check your seam allowance!!! Following the video, sew the 4 HSTs into an hourglass or pinwheel which should measure as indicated.
    Column "D". Cut the block into thirds in both directions. As indicated in the videos, measure the center section.
    Column "E". After rotating, rearranging & sewing your new block, it should measure this.
    Column "F". This is the finished block size
    Column "G". If you cut accurately, this is how many squares you can get from a perfectly cut yard of fabric. Remember: you will need both light and dark fabrics, and you will need 2 squares of each to make one finished block.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 08-13-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    thanks for this great chart
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Thank you very much for taking your time to do this for everyone.
    June

Wow! Great work. Thanks so much for sharing with so many of us that are math-challenged.

Great chart !! Thanks for breaking it down for us and your time involved in this.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Love the quilt and thank you for the chart. You must have been good at math!

Thank you so much for your tutorial and the chart! They are a wonderful help!!

I appreciate your sharing this too!!!

This is awesome!! Thanks so much!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Amazing! Thank you so much for figuring this all out. I'm thinking of making a queen-sized one for the guest room so will need to figure out whether I want to do scrappy (I've been collecting green and blue fabrics for it for a while) or perhaps one print and one white. Your chart will help me decide what size blocks I want to make so I'll figure yardage from there. Thanks again.
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast