Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresden Plate Tutorial

Many have written and asked me to do a tutorial on the Dresden Plate block! Hope you can understand this...if not, let me know!

dee

The whole quilt
    Name:  Attachment-138261.jpe
Views: 3032
Size:  103.8 KB

Close up of a block
    Name:  Attachment-138262.jpe
Views: 2498
Size:  46.5 KB

First -- cut your strip the WOF and the heighth you want the ray of the plate - in this case I cut it 3 1/2" by WOF
    Name:  Attachment-138263.jpe
Views: 2420
Size:  71.3 KB

This is the Easy Dresden ruler I use
    Name:  Attachment-138265.jpe
Views: 2487
Size:  36.9 KB

Lay the ruler down, matching the 3 1/2" line
    Name:  Attachment-138266.jpe
Views: 2388
Size:  45.2 KB

Cut with your rotary cutter on each side, flip the ruler so it's upside down and cut again
    Name:  Attachment-138268.jpe
Views: 2450
Size:  41.2 KB

Sew with 1/4" seam -- I mark the 1/4" seamline when handstitching. MUCH easier
    Name:  Attachment-138270.jpe
Views: 2397
Size:  46.7 KB

Fold in half lengthwise and finger press -- this is important. (sorry for blurry - hard to do a photo with one hand)
    Name:  Attachment-138271.jpe
Views: 2376
Size:  19.1 KB

Sew the 1/4 across the top
    Name:  Attachment-138272.jpe
Views: 2378
Size:  33.1 KB

Nip off at the fold -- and at a slant.
    Name:  Attachment-138273.jpe
Views: 2391
Size:  40.9 KB

Fold down and finger press the seam OPEN
    Name:  Attachment-138274.jpe
Views: 2366
Size:  32.5 KB

Sew the blades together matching the TOP -- don't worry about the bottom, it'll be under the center
    Name:  Attachment-138281.jpe
Views: 2371
Size:  62.9 KB

Flip the right side out and finger press the sides -- make sure the seam stay flat and not folded to one side. Also - make sure your point is sharp -- The Purple Thing is GOOD for this. I matched up the seam line with the fold that you made earlier.... the points will be perfect that way and not skewed. Press with an iron..
    Name:  Attachment-138283.jpe
Views: 2378
Size:  29.3 KB

Make 20 blades. I did 4 sets of 5 and tried to have at least one solide or near solid blade in each set --- 4 solids in each plate.
    Name:  Attachment-138352.jpe
Views: 2384
Size:  56.8 KB

Thanks for the tute, this point is so much easier than sewing a curve. btw, I love all the colors in your quilt. Very pretty.

Thanks for showing usI just bought the templates for the pattern!Can you show the rest of the pattenr in tutorial?Thanks

Thanks for the Dresden Plate tutorial, I am anxious to try a quilt like yours.

I don't have my templates for the center piece (okay - the room's a mess, I can't find them :)). I cut 2 circles out of lightweight cardboard -- one was 3" across and the 2nd was 2 1/2". Cut out your center fabric using the 3" circle for your guide. Lay the 2 1/2" circle in the middle of the fabric piece you cut and draw around it. Now ---- Sew by hand with a large stitch around the outside edge of the fabric circle. Try to keep your stitching far apart (may 3-4 stitches per inch) and on the outer edge. When you have it sewn, do not cut off.....lay your SMALL 2 1/2" piece of cardboard in the circle and pull your threads so it gathers around the template. Now PRESS hard --- You REALLY want the fabric to remember this fold. Take out the cardboard and replace with a 2 1/2" piece of batting. Tie off and knot your thread. You're not pulling the edges up to meat...you want a 2 1/2" circle when you're done. Applique the Plate to the backing you've chosen and then applique the center circle to the plate.

VOILA -- it's done! Now do 100 more! :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by dorilou58
    Thanks for showing usI just bought the templates for the pattern!Can you show the rest of the pattenr in tutorial?Thanks
    You folks beat me to it -- I was still finishing up....Let me know if you have any problems.

Oh -- more --

The 9 patch blocks are simply 1 1/2" blocks sewn together in rows. That made 3 1/2" blocks (leaving outside 1/4" for sewing to sashing. The yellow sashing is 3 1/2" wide....
    The white border is 1" (cut 1 1/2" and the green border is 4" (cut 4 1/2".....WHEW!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt, I just bought/received my template last week. I am trying to get all the holiday chores done so I can get back to sewing.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the tutorial.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast