Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Folding Thread Catcher

Can you give me a hint of what kind of rubber tubing you used Please?

Diameter of tubing? type of material? there is a staggering aray of tubing availble. I don't use a lot of "tubbed" foodstuffs... erm actually thinking about it, I don't use any... :lol: so would like to get some tubing to make some of these.

many thanks
    Becks

Blog Entries
    Cheezy, I'm of course not Elle, but I wondered if you use any sour cream, tub butter, canned peanuts, moisturizer, oxy-clean....lots of things have a little plastic lid. I've saved several lids from the things listed above and also potato salad and peanut butter. You might just take a good look around your kitchen, laundry and bathroom...good luck!

Thanks Patti for stepping in....ruddy computer screen gave up the ghost yesterday.

the tubing I used was just a piece of tubing it dinīt have a hole in it but in retrospect it was a bit heavy and any of the above items mentioned by Patti would be great. Just cut the middle out of the lid and use the round piece, easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Cheezy, I'm of course not Elle, but I wondered if you use any sour cream, tub butter, canned peanuts, moisturizer, oxy-clean....lots of things have a little plastic lid. I've saved several lids from the things listed above and also potato salad and peanut butter. You might just take a good look around your kitchen, laundry and bathroom...good luck!
    Thanks for these suggestions, but sadly i don't use anything that comes in round plastic tubs. i cook mostly from scratch and don't use butter... But I did manage to find something that works. I used 6 core cable for alarms... It was very inexpensive and taped upnicely into the shape I needed.

So I had made on last night using hoop, and when it was folded up ot reminded me of a frosting pile on a cup cake.
    Cue the lightbulbs.....

A demolished cerial packet, a calculator and compass later a voila, I have a cupcake pincushion and thread catcher set!!!!

The button is on a ribbon on the inside which is tucked into the base circles. the ribbon is just the right length to get caught in the twist and finish off the top.

I am soo pleased with it I have to make more!

Thanks for the original catcher idea.
    Becks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Becks that is just gorgeous. Well done you for coming up with a substitute. I love it.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Well, now, how cute is that!!! I tell ya', quilters are the masters of coming up with cool solutions when "re-using" things! I just love your cupcake...its cute, cute, cute!

What makes this stand up when you are using it?

for substitute for the embroidery hoop, how about a piece of tubing like for fish tanks? I use that often and use a 1" piece of dowel into each end to make the circle. Susan G

Well... I still haven't made one, but I still think it would be a great Xmas table gift for quilty friends!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the awesome photos and instructions, this is exactly what I've been looking for!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9