Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Foot Controller Rewiring Tutorial

Foot Controller Rewiring Tutorial

How to rewire a Foot Controller, Step By Step in Pictures. With Text instructions.

I got lucky and was able to get the back plate off in one piece. This shows how it is wired from the factory. I always take a picture before I start cutting anything. If need be, you can always refer back to it if you have a question on how it was wired originally.

Attachment 402012

These wires were riveted on. Cut the wire about an inch from the end and strip off the insulation.

Attachment 402013

With the insulation off, twist the wires so they are neatly wound together without any stray strands hanging out.

Attachment 402014

Use flux and electrical solder and "Tin" the wires.

Attachment 402015

Trim off the excess length.

Attachment 402016

"Tin" the ends of the new wires that are to be soldered on to the old wires that have already have been "Tinned" and solder them together.

Attachment 402017

This shows the new wires soldered together with the old and back in the fixture. Make sure that you put a knot in the wires so they don't get pulled out.

Attachment 402021

Tuck the wires in and put the cover back on.

Attachment 402020

Tin the ends of the wires that are going to the foot controller itself. Pull the wires into the foot controller and make a safety knot. Bend the newly tinned wires to form a loop. I wrap them around a screwdriver shaft to get a more uniform curve.

Attachment 402022

Connect the ends to the terminals wrapping the wire around in a clockwise direction. This will prevent the wire from slipping off as you tighten the screw.

Attachment 402023

To Be Continued.....
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image        Click to view large image  Click to view large image    Click to view large image 

Finished! I like to use new extension cords to rewire these. I cut off the female end so I have a nice factory plug end. It is safer, neater, and looks good too.

Attachment 402025

I hope this helps.
    ~Grant~
    p.s. I am sorry about the font problem at the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: the original is posted here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/foot-controller-rewiring-tut

Thanks for the tute.

I've done a number of those cord blocks too. I do them a bit different, but that's a good easy way.

Joe

Blog Entries
    thanks for the great tut
    Nancy in western NY

Thanks for the great tut!! I know I will use this one sometime!!