Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how I come up with a quilting motif

how I come up with a quilting motif

I find that the most appealing quilting designs are ones that are repetitive. I think that is probably because things in nature are repetitive and we are probably drawn to repetitive designs. Nature is full of fractals which are never ending designs that repeat themselves mathmatically. So when I come up with a motif, I try to figure out a way to break it down and repeat it by mirroring and duplicating. Karen McTavish calls it elemental quilting, she breaks the design into a few simple elements then by mirroring and repeating you end up with a pleasing design that looks really complex. Here is how I do it.

This hand pieced quilt was delivered to me for quilting

Name:  DSC04568.JPG
Views: 4700
Size:  563.3 KB

I isolated the repeating block.
    Name:  DSC04586.JPG
Views: 4706
Size:  592.8 KB

Then I isloated a unit of the block to get a basic shape to repeat. I chose this heart shaped unit.
    Name:  DSC04587.JPG
Views: 4796
Size:  618.2 KB

I placed a piece of tracing paper over the unit and traced the outside line of the unit then came up with a simple swirly motif for the outer part and a teardrop shape in the inner part. You can also use a clear piece of plastic or plexiglass and erasable white board markers. I am old school and like paper.
    Name:  DSC04591.JPG
Views: 4703
Size:  569.8 KB

And here is what the completed block looks like all quilted up.
    Name:  DSC04578.JPG
Views: 4710
Size:  543.4 KB
    Sometimes you get pleasant surprises. In this case the unquilted area coming off the center hexi forms a secondary star pattern. Can you see the 6 star points?
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-16-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Feline, that is absolutely beautiful! Don't we love secondary designs?
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!

WOW!! Breathtaking! I just joined this group 10 minutes ago and this is the first thing I saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!
    Yes! From "ho-hum" to "oh wow"! Beautiful work.
    Courtesy is not optional.

Power Poster
    It is going to be gorgeous!

Exactly what I was thinking! Wow!

Just transforming! The quilting made this quilt! Yes, please show us the whole quilt......
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. ~ Allophones Karr

Boy, do I agree! I thought the quilt didn't have any rime nor reason to it til I saw your quilting! Please share the finish!

Wow from busy to beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.
    Would love to see he finished quilt

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast