Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructions for a Crayola Quilt

Instructions for a Crayola Quilt

Several have shown interest in making a Crayola Quilt so I wanted to show what I used to get started. You could use coloring book pages if you wanted to. I chose to use my own photography of birds. The illustration is of a Baltimore Oriole.
    Step 1. In photo shop I changed my photo to a black and white picture, then changed it into a pencil sketch.
    Step 2. I transferred the pencil sketch using Water Soluble Graphite Pencils by Fons&Porter and a lightbox.
    Step 3. Iron slick or shinny side of freezer paper to the back side of your quilt square that has the transfer. This stabilizes the fabric.
    Step 4. Color as you wish. Lightly will give a pastel look and darker will give the look I have used.
    Step 5. Using a paper towel, lay the colored block face down onto the paper towel and using a cotton setting press the iron down onto the back side of the freezer paper for only a few seconds.
    Step 6. If color came off, change the paper towel and repeat procedure until there is no more color coming off your block.
    Step 7. You may return and color again to build and blend the coloring procedure.
    Step 8. Follow step 5 and 6 between each time you color until you get the results you desire.
    Step 9. I had no instructions on this I used DMC floss as many strands as I thought I needed and I also used artiste cotton craft thread I found at Hobby Lobby it came in a 36 skein pack 10 yards each.
    I just stitched around the edge mainly using a back stitch and filled in areas where I thought it was needed. I used a french knot for the eye.
    Step 10. ??????????? where do I go from here?????? Your guess is as good as mine! haha

You can also google Crayola Quilts for other ideas and instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

That's georgous! Great job.

It has made me anxious to try out some of 1920's patterns
    yours are beautiful

thank you so much, even a non-artist like myself might be able to do this.
    Lynne

Power Poster
    Love your photo of the Baltimore Oriole. He looks like such a jaunty little fellow. You did a wonderful job putting him onto fabric.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for instructions very clear will have to try this

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

love that oriole. You did a great job transferring your picture to fabric. Thanks so much for sharing. When I was a young'un, we did crayola pictures on pillow case borders. Great fun. Think I wll try it again.

Thank you sew much! I'm going to make one.

Thank you for the tutorial. I think I will try this method for my next quilt label.
    Sweet Caroline

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast