Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructions for a Crayola Quilt

Instructions for a Crayola Quilt

Several have shown interest in making a Crayola Quilt so I wanted to show what I used to get started. You could use coloring book pages if you wanted to. I chose to use my own photography of birds. The illustration is of a Baltimore Oriole.
    Step 1. In photo shop I changed my photo to a black and white picture, then changed it into a pencil sketch.
    Step 2. I transferred the pencil sketch using Water Soluble Graphite Pencils by Fons&Porter and a lightbox.
    Step 3. Iron slick or shinny side of freezer paper to the back side of your quilt square that has the transfer. This stabilizes the fabric.
    Step 4. Color as you wish. Lightly will give a pastel look and darker will give the look I have used.
    Step 5. Using a paper towel, lay the colored block face down onto the paper towel and using a cotton setting press the iron down onto the back side of the freezer paper for only a few seconds.
    Step 6. If color came off, change the paper towel and repeat procedure until there is no more color coming off your block.
    Step 7. You may return and color again to build and blend the coloring procedure.
    Step 8. Follow step 5 and 6 between each time you color until you get the results you desire.
    Step 9. I had no instructions on this I used DMC floss as many strands as I thought I needed and I also used artiste cotton craft thread I found at Hobby Lobby it came in a 36 skein pack 10 yards each.
    I just stitched around the edge mainly using a back stitch and filled in areas where I thought it was needed. I used a french knot for the eye.
    Step 10. ??????????? where do I go from here?????? Your guess is as good as mine! haha

You can also google Crayola Quilts for other ideas and instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

That's georgous! Great job.

It has made me anxious to try out some of 1920's patterns
    yours are beautiful

thank you so much, even a non-artist like myself might be able to do this.
    Lynne

Power Poster
    Love your photo of the Baltimore Oriole. He looks like such a jaunty little fellow. You did a wonderful job putting him onto fabric.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for instructions very clear will have to try this

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

love that oriole. You did a great job transferring your picture to fabric. Thanks so much for sharing. When I was a young'un, we did crayola pictures on pillow case borders. Great fun. Think I wll try it again.

Thank you sew much! I'm going to make one.

Thank you for the tutorial. I think I will try this method for my next quilt label.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Wow !!!!! loving it more today, even than yesterday......have to try this THANK YOU again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Thank you for the tutorial. I think I will try this method for my next quilt label.
    .....oh oh oh I love that idea!
    Lynne

Thanks for your effort to give me and everyone the info about your quilt!! I am bookmarking it! jillnjo.
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful. What kind of crayons did you use ? I have done a couple of baby quilts using crayons that are very cute. One hasn't been washed, so don't know how the crayons will hold up. The other one is done with fabric crayons that are supposed to be permanent but I didn't really like them. The colors were not as pretty and bright as regular crayons. I know a lot of crayola crayons are washable now and won't stay in but what about the old time crayons, if you can still get them? Just curious.

sassy granny

Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny View Post
    That is beautiful. What kind of crayons did you use ? I have done a couple of baby quilts using crayons that are very cute. One hasn't been washed, so don't know how the crayons will hold up. The other one is done with fabric crayons that are supposed to be permanent but I didn't really like them. The colors were not as pretty and bright as regular crayons. I know a lot of crayola crayons are washable now and won't stay in but what about the old time crayons, if you can still get them? Just curious.

sassy granny
    As I remember reading somewhere, you need to use the original Crayola Crayons, not the washable kind. The originals apparently have more pigment in them. I am going shopping this morning and look for the BIG box of Crayola Crayons with all of the colors.
    Sweet Caroline

Oh Janice! I am Thrilled, Thrilled, Thrilled that you posted this and showed us how you did it! I adored your blocks and this is just so great of you to clue us in on the process! Thanks!

You are very talented, looks like the orginal. I can't draw anything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

[QUOTE=sassy granny;4971646]That is beautiful. What kind of crayons did you use ? I have done a couple of baby quilts using crayons that are very cute. One hasn't been washed, so don't know how the crayons will hold up. The other one is done with fabric crayons that are supposed to be permanent but I didn't really like them. The colors were not as pretty and bright as regular crayons. I know a lot of crayola crayons are washable now and won't stay in but what about the old time crayons, if you can still get them? Just curious.

Yes you can still get regular Crayola's and please use the (name brand) Crayola Crayons. They give such a pretty effect. I have never tried fabric crayons, and after completing the first 3 squares I'm happy with the way the regular ones blend.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.

Blog Entries
    You are very, very talented. Your birds are really pretty.

Thank-you for the tut. My sister used an off brand embroidery thread to finish one of her embroidered quilt block. The red in the off brand bleed into the background making a mess. She only buys DMC now.
    Each day is a new beginning. adrian...

Today I found Crayola Crayons that comes with a telescoping 3 tier tower for storing the crayons with 150 different colors. The cost was $14.97. The fun part is that there is a coupon for 6 month full access to Crayola Story Studio where you can create your own coloring book from uploaded portrait photos. What a neat gift for a child. I intend to check it out further.
    Sweet Caroline

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this tutorial. Another fun thing to do. I don't think I'll live long enough to try all the beautiful techniques you talented people come up with. But I'm bookmarking it in case I do :>)
    jean

Crayola Website

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Today I found Crayola Crayons that comes with a telescoping 3 tier tower for storing the crayons with 150 different colors. The cost was $14.97. The fun part is that there is a coupon for 6 month full access to Crayola Story Studio where you can create your own coloring book from uploaded portrait photos. What a neat gift for a child. I intend to check it out further.
    Yes, I went onto the website and when my grandkids came at Christmas time, I had their names in stories made up about them and uploaded their pictures of them and turned them into coloring pages. They loved
    it. They thought it was so cool to have their own pictures to color. Hope you enjoy it too!
    Always in Stitches,

thank you for the info

Banned
    Blog Entries
    one day I am going to have to learn the PAINT program..ehhehe
    this came out great...and your tute was very well executed!
    The ONLY thing I would add is that the fabric needs to be washed and iron first...if there is any oils, sizing, chemicals at all on the fabric...(and they are there even if you can't see them), then the crayon will peel off later down the road!
    You need the crayon to really MELT down into the fibers of the fabric!
    I love your embroidery accents too! But for those that don't want to do any handwork, Micron pens in different colors work really well for this too!
    As for how to finish...make him a FRAME...using a wood toned batik maybe...then make a pillow or wall hanging! He is really pretty!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast