Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Marking a Quilt

Thank you for sharing.
    bjsmith57

What a very clever idea. I am in the process of doing my first double bed block FMQ quilt and this will come in handy.

Inspired creative solution! Thanks ever so much for the clear and helpful tutorial!
    MacThayer

Love this idea!
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

Mrs. Beasley,You mentioned that you've used a number of different kinds of pens to mark the tulle. Have you ever had a problem with the ink from the pens transfering to your quilt? Some time ago, I tried tracing a design to tulle using a Sharpie. I thought because Sharpie advertises that their ink is permanent, the ink wouldn't transfer to anything else. I used one of the water soluable Mark B Gone pens to trace the design to the quilt. The Sharpie ink started to turn the tip of the water soluable ink pen( was one of light blue markers) dark and a slight trace of the dark ink was left on the quilt and couldn't be removed. The blue ink of the WS pen did disapear but not the trace of dark ink. Fortunately the quilt was just a fun quilt for a granddaughter and not an heirloom! Sure would appreciate hearing what your experience might be.
    Chris

Great ideas..thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    Mrs. Beasley,You mentioned that you've used a number of different kinds of pens to mark the tulle. Have you ever had a problem with the ink from the pens transfering to your quilt? Some time ago, I tried tracing a design to tulle using a Sharpie. I thought because Sharpie advertises that their ink is permanent, the ink wouldn't transfer to anything else. I used one of the water soluable Mark B Gone pens to trace the design to the quilt. The Sharpie ink started to turn the tip of the water soluable ink pen( was one of light blue markers) dark and a slight trace of the dark ink was left on the quilt and couldn't be removed. The blue ink of the WS pen did disapear but not the trace of dark ink. Fortunately the quilt was just a fun quilt for a granddaughter and not an heirloom! Sure would appreciate hearing what your experience might be.
    Chris
    No, Chris, I've never had that problem. I've used dollar store markers, pencils, a ball point pen, perhaps I've just been lucky. I can't remember ever using a 'Sharpie'. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. When I get stains on a quilt I'm working on, I usually grab my 'Mr Clean Magic Eraser', but I don't know if it would take out permanent marker. Perhaps someone else on the board can offer you a hint. How soon after marking the tulle did you start marking? I'm thinking that some chemical in the water soluble ink reacted with the Sharpie ink to dirty up the tip in the blue pen. Has anyone else had a reaction like this?

Wow great tutorial and idea, thank-you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5