Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   9 Patch Wonder Block Potholders Tutorial per your request (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/9-patch-wonder-block-potholders-tutorial-per-your-request-t175916.html)

PurpleBecca 06-08-2012 03:40 PM

Made these with a couple of the little girls at my sewing class yesterday. They had finished the main project and made thew in 20 minutes. Fabulous project. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sewnoma 06-12-2012 03:27 PM

You know what I love about this? NO BINDING!! Awesome tutorial - thanks!

ragqueen03 11-21-2013 07:54 PM

i love this and want to try my hand at it. one question though - when it comes to insulbrite i am a total dummy! two layers i understand but should the shiny sides be together or apart? thanks! i am trying to make things out of my stash and i think i have like two yards of insulbrite in my stash!

sewmom 11-22-2013 08:01 AM

According to the directions with the Insulbrite I bought first, it said to put the shinier side to the hot side so I put the shiny side to the outsides of the potholder so both sides could be used. The Insulbrite that I bought last month said it didn't matter which side was used.. There was a definite shiny side so I still put that side to the heat.
Also when i made these potholders, I quilted them some so they would stay flat plus it made them more decorative. They are so much fun to make. As insaid in an earlier post, I basted my batting layers together and inserted them after I turned the potholder right side out. It was easier for me and since I was quilting them the batting doesn't shift.

ragqueen03 11-22-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 6418552)
According to the directions with the Insulbrite I bought first, it said to put the shinier side to the hot side so I put the shiny side to the outsides of the potholder so both sides could be used. The Insulbrite that I bought last month said it didn't matter which side was used.. There was a definite shiny side so I still put that side to the heat.
Also when i made these potholders, I quilted them some so they would stay flat plus it made them more decorative. They are so much fun to make. As insaid in an earlier post, I basted my batting layers together and inserted them after I turned the potholder right side out. It was easier for me and since I was quilting them the batting doesn't shift.

thanks! i get so confused about this at times especially when flipping them inside out. i bought a adorable cupcake potholder pattern and cannot for the life of me figure how to get the insulbrite to finish with the shiny side facing out. my brain just doesn't work good at times!

deedum 11-23-2013 05:20 AM

Wow, going to make some this weekend. What a great tutorial! Thanks so much!

Highmtn 11-24-2013 04:54 PM

Sooo well done! Great tut! Thanks!

judylg 12-03-2013 01:04 PM

Thank you for sharing this, a perfect way to use up some leftovers I have laying around here.

Mottsy 12-07-2013 10:11 AM

I just whipped up one of these, improvising a bit,, using what i had on hand, and I love it, thanks so much for sharing!

Just Jan 12-29-2013 11:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much for this tut. They are such fun and I love not having to bind them. I used a 12 1/2 inch 9-patch block left over from my quilt. It was made using 4 1/2" squares. I, too, used a fairly large safety pin to hold the batting while turning and it worked great. My pot holder ended up 8 1/2" and I quilted it SITD to finish it. Here a pic of it, front and back. [ATTACH=CONFIG]453753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]453754[/ATTACH]