Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/bow-tuck-tote-pictorial-tutorial-t55016.html)

mouseface 11-13-2011 02:15 PM

thanks sometimes pics are better to sew by

Rhaorth 03-25-2012 11:41 PM

I know I am reviving an old thread, sorry about that.
I finally made the bowtuck bag.... and wouldn't you know it, I get it done and am ready to put the last thing... the button...
and I got my button loop on the wrong side!! so my button will end up on the back... GRRR

Wish I knew an easy way to fix it, but at least it was nothing major, just the bag will have the button on the back.

Want to say thank you to the op for this wonderful thread, there were a few times I came back here because I got lost.
The pictures helped wonderfully! Thank you

knlsmith 04-07-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth (Post 5090840)
I know I am reviving an old thread, sorry about that.
I finally made the bowtuck bag.... and wouldn't you know it, I get it done and am ready to put the last thing... the button...
and I got my button loop on the wrong side!! so my button will end up on the back... GRRR

Wish I knew an easy way to fix it, but at least it was nothing major, just the bag will have the button on the back.

Want to say thank you to the op for this wonderful thread, there were a few times I came back here because I got lost.
The pictures helped wonderfully! Thank you

LOL I did the same thing on another kind of bag I made. I just left it. No one has ever noticed.

And you're very welcome.

Quilted Dogs 04-08-2012 07:16 AM

Thanks for this, I have had the pattern forever and someone wrote things down for me but this is great, I am a visual person and so great, will keep this and try one now for sure

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C68D6DB95A.png

thepolyparrot 10-09-2012 09:33 PM

I am making the first of these bags and I'm wondering if you can get by with one layer of the Pellon? It seems to me that two layers is going to make it so puffy that it will be difficult to quilt with free-motion designs. And aren't the seams reallllllly thick and stiff with four layers of Pellon in them? Thanks for your thoughts on this! :)

knlsmith 10-14-2012 05:20 AM

You will lose stiffnes mostly. If you like a bag a little floppy, then that would be fine. But I would make sure I put the interfacing on the outside of the bag for wear and tear reasons. And make sure your lining is sturdy. You could put a thin fusible on the lining and that should be good.

Remember, patterns are like a chilli recipe, it is merely a guideline. :)

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot (Post 5574861)
I am making the first of these bags and I'm wondering if you can get by with one layer of the Pellon? It seems to me that two layers is going to make it so puffy that it will be difficult to quilt with free-motion designs. And aren't the seams reallllllly thick and stiff with four layers of Pellon in them? Thanks for your thoughts on this! :)

thepolyparrot 10-14-2012 07:37 AM

I went ahead and followed the directions as far as using the pellon on both lining and the body - I'm almost at the assembly stage. :) The quilting is only done on one layer, so that turned out to be a non-issue. And once I started working with it, I realized that the fleece isn't nearly as thick or dense as I had previously thought. So far, so good.

BrendaY 02-07-2014 11:08 PM

Thank you! Great idea!

Originally Posted by knlsmith (Post 1901682)
No problem.

WOF (width of fabric) is from salvedge to salvadge (seen it spelled both ways). the WOF will end up being the length of your straps and inside pockets. A good thing to do is measure your favorite purse you use now and than add a half inch or better to get a strap length you will like.

A yard is 36 inches.

The first one i did took me a couple days (working off and on). I did a fake one with newspaper and scotch tape first. didn't use all the details, just the basic parts. Once you do the first one, very easy to get one done in less than a day.

Now I'm not so scared to try it!! and will make it with paper first... great idea! Tanks!

Idawb 08-03-2014 05:16 PM

The very last update

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished the project. Tutorial was not very helpful. :( One needs to read and re-read the original instructions. I still wonder what is the problem with posting better pictures with complete steps.

I had difficultis with boxed corners. Using Pythagorean theorem I was able to create the correct size for the cornes. Fun, don't you think?:p Hopefully you will see the picture of my new bag. Love it:thumbup:!

judy363905 08-03-2014 05:25 PM

Very lovely job...like your fabric choices. I never get tired seeing Bow Tuck Bags. I have made three..it may be time to make a couple more while I still remember how :)

Judy in. Phx, AZ