Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Comparison of LeMoyne Star and Eight-Pointed Star Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/comparison-lemoyne-star-eight-pointed-star-blocks-t271904.html)

bearisgray 11-05-2015 08:46 AM

Comparison of LeMoyne Star and Eight-Pointed Star Blocks

2 Attachment(s)
They are similar, but not the same.

Some Similarities:

They both have squares in the corners and triangles on the sides.
They both have parallelograms with 45-135-45-135 angles for the centers.

Some Differences:

The proportions are different.
The shapes of the parallelograms are different.

The LeMoyne Star - all the interior (finished) seam lengths are the same.
The 8-pointed Star - The interior (finished) seam lengths are different.

The LeMoyne Star - all four sides of the diamond are the same length.
The 8-pointed Star - opposite sides are the same length, but not all four sides are the same length.
The LeMoyne Star - Cannot construct the center from HSTs

ube quilting 11-05-2015 05:45 PM

I love the traditional Ohio star block but there is also something very appealing about the Le Moyne star too. I make both and the only way to discribe them for myself is that the OS is more masculine and the LMS is more feminine. I think it is because the angles are not as severe in the LMS. imho. TFS
peace

audsgirl 11-05-2015 08:06 PM

Thanks for this info, Bearisgray. I have always been confused by the differences between them.

Leslie

helou 11-06-2015 04:13 AM

Thank you very much for this information. I think it solves a problem that I encounter with an unfinished quilt top that one of my friend gave me "to do what ever I wanted with it"
it was so badly sewned with unequal seam allowances etc... I undid it all to find out that the diamond shape were uneven. My only experience was with the Lemoyne star.. Because of your pictures now I know. I still have a zillion pieces to sew . thanks a million!

coffeegirl 11-06-2015 05:00 AM

Good comparison, thank you!

bearisgray 11-06-2015 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I added an eight-pointed star that is drawn on a 3 x 3 grid. It's the orange one.

Most of these have so many variations - many of them quite easy to do.

I do not think that anyone can compile a "complete" encyclopedia of block patterns. It seems like someone is always coming up with a variation of an old pattern - or giving an old pattern a different/new name.

If one wants to use graph paper for doodling with the LeMoyne star, I've found that if I "grid" it at 10, 7, 7, 10 intervals, that it comes out fairly close.

I've found folding paper to be the easiest way to get the proportions - 34 is sort of a clumsy number to use for frequently used block sizes.

Technically, the proportions are 1, square root of 2 divided by 2, square root of 2 divided by 2, and 1 (1, 0.71, 0.71, and 1) (rounded to the nearest hundredth)

ManiacQuilter2 11-06-2015 11:00 AM

Yes, because if you do a true LeMoyne Star, you are dealing with a different angles than with HSTs.

bearisgray 11-06-2015 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many blocks seem to work fine when adapted to using a HST parallelogram instead of an equal-sided diamond.

The purpose of this post is just to show that they are different.

Bluebonnets 11-06-2015 07:08 PM

Fascinating tutorial, did not know that. I thought they were the same, but they're not. Thanks!

fxsts93kf 12-10-2015 12:43 PM

Learn something every day! Thanks for taking the time!!