Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Hand Quilting in Floor Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/hand-quilting-floor-frame-t151373.html)

Ninnie 09-10-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by majormom
quiltingstencils .com is an awesome site :thumbup: I've come to the conclusion that I am no free hand quilter. Not even meandering! I have decided to use stencils for EVERYTHING - and finally accomplish something that looks half way near decent. I'm so disgusted today, I shouldn't even be online :thumbdown: So I'll get off.

i had to just giggle when reading this. I have had so many days like this, sewing a seam wrong, twice lol, or cutting out 30 squares, only to find out they were 1/2 in too small. And , after throwing temper tantrum, driving 1 1/2 hrs back to fabric shop to buy more material. And i do admit, i have not conquered machine quilting yet, lol. Sometimes we just have to walk away, and try again later.

purplemem 09-10-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
Your hand work is stunning. I tried to hand quilt once, but with the MS, I don't have the control or strength. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Chuck, I use this nifty tool I bought at Harbor Freight for $1.50, it is a pair of needle nosed pliers that have a turned up end, and are spring loaded. I got a pair at Tractor Supply also.

I push the needle through and then use the pliers to pull it out. It works well and there is no stress on my hands or wrists. Try it!

Happy Treadler 09-11-2011 04:51 PM

GREAT job!! Thank you SEW much for posting, Ninnie. :)

Gal 09-11-2011 05:56 PM

Great tut, thank you, up to now I have only quilted in straight lines, seeing how you do your stencil patterns, I am definately going to try this now.

Gal

jeanharville 09-11-2011 10:29 PM

Ninnie, I was not a member when you started the whole tutorial. But when I clicked on your post tonight I went back to the beginning and read all. I want to add my thanks to the others for taking the time to share your method. You explained the steps so well, I understood everything you presented. I've never seen anyone quilt from start to finish so this was very enlightening to me. So many tips I hope I can remember.(of course I bookmarked in case I can't) I plan to start my first quilt this week so your first "episode" about cutting and chain sewing and organizing in plastic baggies will be helpful to me right away. jean

heather1949 09-11-2011 10:53 PM

Wow thanks am about to do my first one.

SandraD 09-12-2011 11:02 AM

I am fairly new to handquilting - what type of batting do you use? What's the best?

Ninnie 09-12-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SandraD
I am fairly new to handquilting - what type of batting do you use? What's the best?

i like using Hobbs 100% cotton batting. i usually use the unbleached, unless i am having a white backing, and then i will use the white. I love the way it feels when u needle it. and i like the old fashioned look of a hand quilted quilt after it has been washed. I only use all cotton in my tops also. and i use cotton covered poly quilting thread usually, but using an all cotton thread for this one. There have been sever debates on which brand of thread is the best. I have almost always used Coats@Clark.
However, if u r making a wall hanging, and want it to stand out more, u can use a high-loft poly batting
I started a wall hanging today lol and that is what i am using for the batting

chickadee_42us 09-13-2011 10:23 AM

Great to see your posting again. You are an inspiration. Wishing you continued quilting success.
Love your scrappy quilt.

postal packin' mama 09-26-2011 11:37 AM

Is there any reason the stencil markings couldn't also be
used for machine quilting, using a walking foot?
Thanks.