Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Hexagons Machine Sewed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/hexagons-machine-sewed-t225686.html)

Rosyhf 07-13-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting (Post 6174560)
You're very good at teaching. Still not sure I want to try this one, but you've gotten my attention. Like what you're doing with that first one a lot.

That is a big block and will go fast and easy to sew and will take a of lots of scraps. I have these large decorator sample pieces, so I just cut the strips from those on the straight of grain. This will be a heavy duty quilt as that fabric is a bit heavier.

I will work on the big strip blocks some more as it won't take that many to make a nice size throw etc. I will mix the tri's up so different fabrics will be together as I don't want to match fabrics in the same unit.

Rosyhf 07-13-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6174405)
I have seen them sewn like that. If you can't use a regular ruler to cut these I guess they would have to be cut by templates? Doubt I will ever get around to trying this. Too many quilts I want to make. Doubt I would have enough patience for this.
Someone would love to try this. Thanks for posting. It will be a beautiful quilt.

Yes, you would have to have a template, unless you could figure it out but it would be too much work to cut it with a regular ruler.

Karen Mc 07-14-2013 09:01 AM

Thank you for posting this tutorial!

QuiltnNan 07-14-2013 03:34 PM

great tut and information. thanks for taking the time

mjhaess 07-15-2013 06:27 AM

Wow...looks great..Thanks for sharing...

Rosyhf 07-15-2013 10:54 AM

How like you this?

2 Attachment(s)
I like that little saying. I heard it in the "Tudors". Gosh, I have written an entire post and IE said it stopped working and I lost my entire post. This is a fairly new computer with windows 8. It does this quite often and it's just aggravating. I noticed as I was typing that at the bottom it says, Auto save. Does that mean my post is saved somewhere and I can retrieve it? Anybody know?

Anyway, I played around with my hexes yesterday and decided that some “Inner City” blocks would look different in this quilt. I put a few in and really like it. I then cut some cat face and like the, “I Spy” and I love it. I will search my stash for more cute stuff to put in. So far it’s all on the board not sewed yet except for the two top rows.

Rosyhf 07-15-2013 11:04 AM

To make the Inner City blocks, you have to sew one of each of these two strips together of light/dark; medium/light; medium/dark, the size of this strip must be the size of the original strip that you made the first hexes with. For instance. If the size strip was two inches for the hexes, the strips for the I C block will be one inch each strip plus your seam allowance, to end up being 2 inches.

Today when I cut and sew a few more I will demonstrate it.

JuanitaBean 07-15-2013 03:38 PM

this is something I would like to try. Please keep your tutorials coming. If you have some Hexagons already cut could you make the pattern you have on design wall with them or do you have to have that sp ruler I really like the look. Thanks Juanita

Rosyhf 07-16-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JuanitaBean (Post 6179353)
this is something I would like to try. Please keep your tutorials coming. If you have some Hexagons already cut could you make the pattern you have on design wall with them or do you have to have that sp ruler I really like the look. Thanks Juanita

You could use the cut Hex for a template Juanita but I just like using the ruler.

rwquilts 07-17-2013 07:48 AM

Thanks so much Rosy for your tutorials! I love your last recent combo post with the inner city blocks! Love them together!