Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Hexagons Machine Sewed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/hexagons-machine-sewed-t225686.html)

Rosyhf 07-22-2013 02:22 PM

Inner City Blocks

7 Attachment(s)
I played some more with the hexes today, after cutting a bunch of them last night. I think I still have to cut more but I'll see.

To make the I C blocks, first you sew sets of strips together of: light/dark; medium/light and medium/dark. These have to be half of the hex patch, plus 1/4 ins. seam allowance.

Then you cut the hexes from those strips and separate them as stated above. I took a large cardboard and separated my hexes also so I could choose.

Then you start to build your city. Following, you will see a light/medium hex patch on the left and a medium/dark patch on the right and the last patch at the bottom of these two, is a light/dark patch and that is one building. Now you continue to build and fill in with just plain hexes as you like and so on.

Rosyhf 07-22-2013 02:26 PM

If you look to the top left, there is a pic of Lincoln. I used lots of clocks and cats and a frog here and there.

Rosyhf 07-22-2013 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did some more and it's growing lol....what a wild looking mess lol.....

Rosyhf 07-22-2013 05:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Oops I missed posting these. Place a med/light patch next to a med/dark patch and a light/dark patch to the bottom of those two.

JuanitaBean 07-22-2013 08:56 PM

I really like the it coming together. Keep it coming !

earthwalker 07-22-2013 10:59 PM

Very clever....very cool....thanks for sharing with us.

Blue Bell 07-23-2013 06:39 AM

I am going to give your instructions a try. Thanks for the tute and inspiration.

Rosyhf 07-23-2013 11:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have 98 percent of it on the board. I say this because I have a few patches left and so far the quilt will be about 52x62 with the patches as it stands now. I would like a bit bigger and the few I have left will make it at least 60x60.So far there are 525 patches on the board. It was getting real old putting all those patches up lol.

I got a little disheartened when I started to sew an area together last night. The two rows that I had done some days ago went so easy. I went to bed. This morning I went to my Gym class, had lunch and then changed machines. I was sewing on my Bernina Record. I switched to my brother which has an automatic scissor in it and I don't know if that made the difference but it started to go along very nicely and I am happy again lol.

It is real easy to make a mistake because of the different positions of the buildings. I had to rip twice and I hope no more lol. I took down six across and six down and I think that is a safe amount because you can see the design easier with a few. This quilt will take a lot of patience and time and thank God, I have both lol.

Here is the quilt with all the patches so far and some isolated close up of the buildings, notice Lincoln? He looks good in this quilt. On the top left is the section I sew together.

Rosyhf 07-23-2013 11:27 AM

I know that hexes are very popular with the English piecing crowd. I have also seen a bunch on Pinterest and all hand pieced. I can't imagine doing that in my wildest dreams lol. Ok, back to sew some more.

JuanitaBean 07-23-2013 01:51 PM

Love it. Got Hexagons cut.
Know I've got to cut med/dark light/med. I'm trying to use my go die cuter But I don't know if it going to work. I'll let you know if it works.