Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Hexagons Machine Sewed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/hexagons-machine-sewed-t225686.html)

JuanitaBean 07-23-2013 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got it to work!! I'm using my accuquit Go to cut my hexagons. I sewed 2 - 3" strips together then cut the strip into 5.5"squares. then put 2- 5.5" squares right sides together with the seam of the square lining up to the point of the Hexagon. Here is some pictures to help. I really like the way your quilt is turning out. Thank you for sharing.

Rosyhf 07-24-2013 10:01 AM

Oh boy!! that looks good Juanita. Please post when you start sewing.

The only thing I can see is that there will be a lot of waste as the Go doesn't give you the option of cutting side by side. You do save yourself, having to do two more cuts tho.

Rosyhf 07-24-2013 10:13 AM

Ok, I hit a little snag. I discovered that when only sewing a small section together, the tut at the beginning works real well.

I found it easier to work on this quilt, because it is so much bigger, this way. I found that when sewing the hexes edge to edge much easier, if I didn't start at the beginning of the seam I just skip a bit down, it doesn't have to be an exact 1/4 inch. This way when you are sewing the next edge of the hex ( the next row that is set in), I can see, and it does line up better and I still stop at the seam like the tut at the beginning.

I found that sewing edge to edge, when the second row is added, and where the set-in normally occurs, was a bit off. So by just leaving it a bit open, it made the fit better.

JuanitaBean 07-24-2013 06:57 PM

I will but it might be awhile . Need to sew strips and cut a lot more Hexagons. I really like this look but don't like hand work.

Rosyhf 07-25-2013 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick post. I am getting really excited with how well this is going together with no hitches now and I can't wait to finish it. I will work on it constantly until done.

This morning I sewed two of the areas together. The top left area consists of two areas not sewed together yet. Notice that they fit together just like a puzzle?

The top right consists of two areas sewed together. The white line in the middle is the area that I will join those two large areas together later today when I get back from the Gym.

Notice I keep saying I am going to the Gym? I want to tell you how wonderful this has been for my entire body. I work out with a group of Silver Sneakers and an instructor for 1 1/2 hours four days a week and I am gaining so much strength.

debbiemarie 07-25-2013 08:59 AM

You make this look incredibly easy! I am actually tempted to try this myself, I love the look of hexies and have always admired the ones that look like flowers. I may have to cut some of these out and try it. First I have to get the ruler.

Rosyhf 07-30-2013 12:16 PM

All done, thank god !!!!!!!!!! Lol

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished. I made three rows. Top, middle and bottom. Each row consisted of three section, which in turn had at least 15 patches up and 10 patches across more or less.

I would take down 6 patches across and 6 down all the way across and then I would join those areas until there were only three main sections left.

When I had made all the sections, I noticed, I still wanted to make it larger and added more sections with the patches I had left. I used all the patches I had cut except for 5.

Then I joined the top sections, middle and bottom and then I had two rows to do across the whole quilt, which ended up at 71 long by 67 wide. I like it. I will leave it just the way it is and bind it this way.

I changed the way I was sewing. Instead of doing it the way I said at the beginning. I found the straight of grain of the patches and sewed a little down for the edge, not bothering if it was a 1/4 inch or not, just as long as it left a little opening. I found it was much easier to sew the edges to join that way. I sewed a rows of six. Then when sewing the rows together, It was easy to see the beginning and end of the seams and it went so well.

When I got to the end of the bottom row and made a couple flowers and a couple structures, just for fun. I wanted to use up everything.

After I quilt and bind it, I will do another pic. This was some intense sewing but enjoyable .

QuiltQtrs 08-03-2013 09:30 AM

Simple Hexagon blocks

1 Attachment(s)
Little wallhanging using the Half Hexagon plastic template.
You will be sewing in rows, matching each "half" hexagon. So fast, accurate, and easy!

Blue Bell 08-03-2013 02:58 PM

Lovely, Quilt Qtrs. Your mini wall hanging is spectacular. I bought a flower pattern today. I am going to give hexagons a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

sheepla 08-14-2013 04:18 AM

thank you so much for this tutorial I really want to make a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt but I really, really hate hand sewing so this gives me hope.