Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   OBW tutorial by Cutebuns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/obw-tutorial-cutebuns-t92503.html)

KLO 01-22-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnT

Originally Posted by meow meow
Okay today I am in DUH Mode. Help. For several days now I keep seeing the OBW thing and questions asked........now can someone tell what "OBW" stands for. Being very DUH I have been quilting for many years but I don't understand some of the abbv.

Me too!

OBW = One Block Wonder = a hexagonal design made with only one fabric (Stack'N'Whack style) which are then sewn together without sashing. The fabric is what makes or breaks the outcome, IMHO.

AnnT 01-22-2011 08:12 AM

Double Duh! Thanks for the explanation.

KLO 01-22-2011 08:16 AM

Remember, no question is too stupid to ask but it is dumb not to ask a question about something you don't understand or have never heard of. That's how we all learn!!!

KarenR 01-22-2011 08:22 AM

WOW now I want to do that - I just purchased the books from somebody on the board.
Can't wiat till I can start.

fireworkslover 01-22-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stormy Days
Is there a special way to sew all of the blocks together for the quilt top? It looks difficult and I can't figure it out looking at the pictures. Thanks.

You just make half hexagons. Pin 2 together to make a whole while you finalize your arrangement. Then sew half hexagons together into long strips. Carefully remove them one at a time from your design wall, pin together each pair as you go. Take them to your machine and chain piece them together. Clip apart, press seams open, then replace on design wall. Then go to the next strip and do the same. When you have all the strips made, then start sewing 2 together, replace on wall when done sewing together, so you don't get your arrangement mixed up. By this time you should be able to see how it's going to look and not get them mixed up. I always put a safety pin on the top half hexagon of each strip (just to make sure I don't flip a strip around). Then sew two strips sets together, until they are all sewn into one big piece. If you've been pressing your seam allowances open all along, it will go together rather nicely.

kclausing 01-22-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stormy Days
Is there a special way to sew all of the blocks together for the quilt top? It looks difficult and I can't figure it out looking at the pictures. Thanks.

Some people assemble the hexagons and then sew them, but I find that difficult. I sew half hexagons, do my layout, keeping my hexagons together, then I sew them in strips.

misoop 01-22-2011 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am working on my FIRST stack and whack! Please check out my photos.....something is wrong! They are not going to sew together properly....looks too small. I used a Quilt Sense triangle cutting on the 5 in line. Maybe not the correct template??? Help, please.

GrannyLady 01-22-2011 02:42 PM

Thanks to you and to cutebuns for the tute. First time I have seen something that I could totally understand how to make this block.

lnikkers52 01-22-2011 04:55 PM

wow , I love OBW but never knew where to start. Now I know and I think It might have to waite on my things to do list. Might be just me but it looks very very hard.maybe someday. Nice Tute. thanks

KLO 01-22-2011 05:14 PM

To misoop,

I have the feeling that the ruler you are using is not a 60 degree ruler. That is the angle that has to be cut to make these fit together ... 6 pieces to make a 360 degree circle would make the needed pieces at 60 degrees. Hope this helps and hope you did not cut all your fabric with this ruler!!!