Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   USPS First Class Letter Thickness Tester (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/usps-first-class-letter-thickness-tester-t133823.html)

Mommomjoann 06-29-2011 03:47 AM

Thank you so much,my DH is always putting extra stamps on letters he thinks are "too heavy". Now I'll have some extra loot for fabric!!!

suziehammond 06-29-2011 05:09 AM

Thanks-- being overseas this helps me a lot when others mail to me.

VickyOH 06-29-2011 05:14 AM

Thank you so much. Great tool, I will use often.

Iamquilter 06-29-2011 05:30 AM

When I retired from my job my boss gave me the little postage scale so I can test my envelopes at home and know how much postage to put.

Learner747 06-29-2011 05:32 AM

All post offices have these boards and will give them out upon request. That is why they were printed - for the customer. BTW, they are free. (Also a retired postal employee.)

thrums 06-29-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by heyjami
I have created a visio with a box that can be cut out (once you print out this pdf on cardstock or just glue paper to a cardstock holder).

I saw that they use a tool just like this in the post office to test our letters. If it doesn't fly through, they ask for more postage! It fails as a letter and needs Package rate postage (roughly double!).

Many of us send blocks in the mail and I'm am so irritated at how many have come back to me lately.

I hope this helps you! Let me know if there is a way to improve the instructions and I'll edit it with your input!

Thanks, Jami

Thanks Jami! It reminds me of the test for caving. If you can fit through this box you can go. :)

polly13 06-29-2011 07:10 AM

I never know how much extra postage to add. Thanks.

caspharm 06-29-2011 07:38 AM

Thank you!

jaciqltznok 06-29-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by heyjami
I have created a visio with a box that can be cut out (once you print out this pdf on cardstock or just glue paper to a cardstock holder).

I saw that they use a tool just like this in the post office to test our letters. If it doesn't fly through, they ask for more postage! It fails as a letter and needs Package rate postage (roughly double!).

Many of us send blocks in the mail and I'm am so irritated at how many have come back to me lately.

I hope this helps you! Let me know if there is a way to improve the instructions and I'll edit it with your input!

Thanks, Jami

I asked at the PO and they gave me one of theirs...and yes, it has to pass through that slot without touching anywhere..or it gets DOUBLE postage...The last lot of 35 blocks I sent out cost me nearly $40! When you do that twice for one swap you just spent all the money you would use for a backing & batting!
The USPS is killing swaps for sure! At least the 1 on 1 swaps...more swaps need to be centralized..it would be MUCH cheaper!

reeskylr 06-29-2011 09:45 AM

Yeah, the swaps are really hard on the pocket book. Especially the big ones.

I found that out the hard way too. I had them coming back to me and then found out that most needed hand stamped, so that is .64 cents.

If it doesn't fit in the slot or has bumps, then it goes as a small package at a $1.17. Unfortunately, doing a lot of stitching blocks makes for bumps.