Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick strips w/ 1/4" ruler

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    here is how i use my 1/4" to measure strips.

here's your strip; line up the right side of fabric with the length of strip you need--in the photo, it is 8"
    Name:  Attachment-210965.jpe
Views: 206
Size:  72.5 KB

add any template {larger than strip} & butt it up against your 1/4" ruler
    Name:  Attachment-210966.jpe
Views: 212
Size:  81.0 KB

align marks on template to edge of strip to achieve a straight cut{also referred to as "squaring up"}
    Name:  Attachment-210967.jpe
Views: 205
Size:  51.8 KB

remove the 1/4" ruler & CUT against the square! YOU did it! there's your 8" strip!
    Name:  Attachment-210972.jpe
Views: 203
Size:  74.0 KB

Blog Entries
    now all you need to do is SLIDE the fabric strip to the right & repeat, until you have cut the sizes you need.
    this method {with the 1/4 " ruler} is used to cut strips because it is less bulky than a larger ruler & easier to maneuver it on fabrics strips, & also easier to transport, when working outside the home.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this tute :D:D:D

I bought the 1/4" ruler, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    How smart are you! Thanks!

This is where I always run into trouble. You have to assume or know that the edges are straight on the sides. I have so much trouble getting the fabric squared up in the first place. I have read everything on here, watched all kinds of tutorials but when I get done it will be just a little off. You have to fold it straight line it up straight hold the ruler straight,cut straight. Then when I pick it up somewhere in that process I messed up. I can do it if someone squares the pc first for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheliab12
    This is where I always run into trouble. You have to assume or know that the edges are straight on the sides. I have so much trouble getting the fabric squared up in the first place. I have read everything on here, watched all kinds of tutorials but when I get done it will be just a little off. You have to fold it straight line it up straight hold the ruler straight,cut straight. Then when I pick it up somewhere in that process I messed up. I can do it if someone squares the pc first for me.
    have you put the template/square you are using inside of a Tsquare to check its "squareness?" maybe by some odd chance the ruler you are using is off--it is possible--!
    i can show in a photo how to do this if i confused you!

Blog Entries
    another reason your cuts may be inaccurate, would be the possibility of your template being warped or left in the heat/sun. if you press down on your template to cut fabric, & it is warped, the opposite side will be up in the air, & your fabric will/can move...it's ez to miss if you're just cutting right along...and not paying attention {like me}!

Some of my rulers will need to be replaced pretty soon. With use, eventually the corners are "off" & no longer square [at least for me].

Blog Entries
    I found my large 6 x 24" ruler had a worn spot along the long side. When I cut strips, the center (between the 12-18" markings) had a slight dip. New ruler-straight strips:-). Got the frosted Olfa ruler and love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast