Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Double Squares

Scrappy Double Squares

I don't throw away any scraps. One of the things I do with the 1-1/2" strips is shown here. Normally, the dark green larger corner is done scrappy but I had all these greens and decided to do a green quilt top. So I did need some yardage - and this is a green I had had for a while

I cut a base from something I know I'll never use -- if you make 48 squares and then sew in row 6 wide by 8 long and add a border, it will make a nice child's quilt, or make larger for lap quilts.

This beige base is cut at 7" to allow for some distortion when adding strips and also so that you don't need to be exactly perfect in placing your strips. I sew strips on one half to fill, starting with the longest piece right sides together, the edge of the strip about 1/2" from the corner, and do assembly line sewing -- sew the first strip on all the bases, press toward the corner, then sew another, press, etc. to cover to the corner. Then put a ruler on the press line of the first strip at the 2" mark and mark with a pencil. If you want a smaller corner, make a longer line, perhaps 2-1/2 or 2-1/4". Cut your corner pieces, put then right sides together with the edge on the pencil line, sew 1/4" seam, press. Lay a 6-1/2" ruler on the block with the diagonal line of the 6-1/2" square along the sewing line of the first strip and trim. A second square appears when all the blocks are put together like I have shown,

I also save 2-1/2" strips in another box. For these strips I use an 9" base and trim with an 8-1/2" ruler. I use these two sizes becasuse these are two small rulers I have for cutting squares.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez

Power Poster
    That's going to be pretty, I noticed I tend to have more blue and green scraps than any other colours. I like how you measure over from the strip to place your green corner.

Nice use of scraps. I LOVE that green!

I like this and I have a question. Do you only sew strips to one side of the block and have the cream or green as the rest of the block? I did print this off so I could try this way hoping that was alright.
    Pat
    Patsy

I really like it. I need to get to work on my scraps. Your quilt looks very organized and neat. Good job.

love the blocks
    SoniSew

beautiful mix of greens!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tut, those look great
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Thank you for explaining how to make good use of scrap strips. I have this on my bucket list.

Thanks, paintmejudy love this block.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    LIFE IS ABOUT USING THE WHOLE BOX OF CRAYONS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast