Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda >

Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I would like to go into more detail on some of the things I didn’t have room for in the book. If you have any questions just ask and I will walk you through anything you are having trouble with.

In case you haven't seen the announcement, you can find out more about the e-book here: Star Point Blocks.

There are no stupid questions only lessons you haven't learned yet so please feel free to ask! We all started at the same place not knowing any quilting knowledge!

I will be posting some mini lessons on some of the things in the book. If you haven't seen the book yet you can follow along anyway. However it may make more sense to you if you have read the book.

Please keep in mind this technnique is used for any size block you want to make. I do miniatures so that is what I use to demonstrate with. But you can make a 12" quilt block for a full size quilt. You just need to use a larger template than I use.
If you can't figure out what size template to use I will help you decide what works for what you want to make. Just ask!!!

I am available most of the time. I work at home and am usually here. If I need to be gone I will post that info so you will not have to wait long for an answer. Rhonda

Bear with me as I load these posts. There will be several before I have the whole lesson on here.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Cutting out a square:

When I lay the template on the fabric I make sure that I lay the template on so the dark lines cross where the light center comes to a point. This gives me a ¼” seam allowance above the point.
I use a mini mat so I can turn the mat as I cut.

Next thing I do is to center the bottom corner of the template. I look at the lines on the template and count the lines from the corner back to where the edge of the center is. Just count on one side and then find the same line on the other side. Now center so you have the same number of lines on each side of the bottom point of the template
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7831.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Place your fingers on the template and hold it firmly in place. It is hard to get it back into the exact same spot so try not to let it move. Don’t let up on the pressure until your block is completely cut out.
As you hold the template down cut along one side with your cutter.
Using your other hand turn the mat so you can cut the next side. I use my thumb to nudge it up and turn it to the right,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7837.jpe   attachment-11307.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Cut the other sides continuing to turn the mat after each cut.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7839.jpe   attachment-11309.jpe   attachment-43565.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

TA DA== the Star Point Block
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43336.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

After the block is cut out- I like to check the corners and trim the square if I need to. Then I sometimes check with a ruler to make sure they are square. After you make these for awhile you will be able to tell when you need to trim or not.

The more accurate you are here the more headaches you will avoid. If you don't take time to check your blocks could go crooked even tho you sew a straight seam. then your pieced top will be way out of whack(yes a technical term! :mrgreen: ) and you won't know what to do to fix it.

There are other places too to make sure you are on target but this is the one place that causes most of the problems.
However be careful not to trim too much. Gently trim any crooked corners to make it square.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11310.jpe   attachment-53679.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I like to measure the block to make sure it is square. It is kind of a quality control thing.
The less errors I make at this stage the better off I am when I go to sew blocks together. After you do this a few times you will be able to see when something is off. If you don't just say oh well and you take the time to fix it it will pay off as you sew things together.

When I start seeing blocks tilting to one side when I sew them together then I pick out the seam and look at the block to see if I missed trimming it to square.
That is my first problem solving tip. The first block of any structure needs to be straight so the whole structure will stand up to time.
I have this problem all the time if I get in a hurry so it is not a reflection on your skill it is a decision taken of whether to bother with this step or not. I highly recommend that you take time to trim if need be and to check each block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7840.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Here is the finished Block. I used a 2 1/2" template on this block so you could see it better and to show that you can use any size template. You could use a 4" if you like but the size of the quilt block is determined by the size of your template and the number of blocks you use to make your Quilt Block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11315.jpe  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Ok I am done playing now!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If I can help just let me know!! We are going to play stump the teacher!! LOL Hopefully I can answer any questions you might have!

Remember there are no stupid questions or stupid quilters. We all started at the same place!! Knowing nothing!!!

I just want to help you to understand the process of the cut down method and what it can do for your own quilting. You can look at traditonal quilt blocks and see where you could use my method instead of the traditional piecing method.
Dramatic looks with easy piecing!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks Rhonda! I'm just finishing up my first block, I used 2 1/2" squares to make the block, it's turning out really nice. I was feeling pretty stupid, but you helped me a lot, thanks!