Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Neato! A friend just sent me two beautiful batik jelly rolls....this sounds like so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by baubo1234
    Wow!! Now I know what to make with the jelly rolls I have. I wonder if it would work as well with bali cuts? It should, shouldn't it? Hmmm, I wonder how many I have. I guess I need to go on a search of my sewing room.

Thank you for this great idea.
    I like the way you think! A friend just sent me two of them....I can hardly wait to get started!

Quote Originally Posted by bevonthebay
    It might be fun to stop at 8 rows together, then cut them in 16 1/2 " lengths. You could sew them across (vertical/horizontal, vertical), then the 2nd row (horizontal, vertical, horizontal) Would that work? Sort of a checkerboard for chess board effect. You could improvise on this one in many ways. Bev
    This sounds like a great idea....or to put narrow strips of a high contrast between each section....

It might be fun to stop at 8 rows together, then cut them in 16 1/2 " lengths. You could sew them across (vertical/horizontal, vertical), then the 2nd row (horizontal, vertical, horizontal) Would that work? Sort of a checkerboard for chess board effect. You could improvise on this one in many ways. Bev
    This sounds like a great idea....or to put narrow strips of a high contrast between each section....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie
    That works. I did it and it came out cute. Nice variation on a rail fence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie
    Oops - sorry, double post. System hiccupped and I got an error message that it couldn't open the page.

I'm just wondering about cutting on the fold when you sew the long side, how do you keep it a straight cut if you're cutting a loop? Do you trim the entire quilt top edges when you are done?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
    I'm just wondering about cutting on the fold when you sew the long side, how do you keep it a straight cut if you're cutting a loop? Do you trim the entire quilt top edges when you are done?
    Thanks
    I have seen quilters try to find the exact middle of the strip from the beginning! Doesn't look manageable.
    I did just fold the ends together and start sewing them. When I got about ten inches from the end, I just guesstimated and cut (easier on the first steps than the last couple).
    I don't know that it would really hurt anything to stitch the whole strip and then use a rotary cutter and ruler to trim of the most minimum of the loop.
    Otherwise, you are correct - - you must trim the edges - - unless you are VERY brave and just cut strips for a border and use those straight edges to determine the last edge. The five quilts we created at the Project Linus (back a few pages) sew-in were done without trimming ... (not so brave, just not very good about being exact). I think they turned out well, since most of the edges didn't turn out to be all that uneven.

Blog Entries
    After sewing the strip together I lay the fold end on my cutting board. With rotary cutter and ruler I cut just barely a 1/16" off the folded end so I'm not wasting fabric. I found that easier than trying to slit the fold with scissors and it's a straight edge. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    After sewing the strip together I lay the fold end on my cutting board. With rotary cutter and ruler I cut just barely a 1/16" off the folded end so I'm not wasting fabric. I found that easier than trying to slit the fold with scissors and it's a straight edge. Hope this helps.
    I wish I could have figured out how to articulate the solution as well as you! Good show! :thumbup: Full disclosure - - the challenge of my life has been to try to say something in ten words or less. I wish I had your gift.
    This quilt technique is just so fun that I can't help comment whenever someone posts something!

Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 58 ... LastLast