View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 AM
omak

Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
I'm just wondering about cutting on the fold when you sew the long side, how do you keep it a straight cut if you're cutting a loop? Do you trim the entire quilt top edges when you are done?
Thanks
I have seen quilters try to find the exact middle of the strip from the beginning! Doesn't look manageable.
I did just fold the ends together and start sewing them. When I got about ten inches from the end, I just guesstimated and cut (easier on the first steps than the last couple).
I don't know that it would really hurt anything to stitch the whole strip and then use a rotary cutter and ruler to trim of the most minimum of the loop.
Otherwise, you are correct - - you must trim the edges - - unless you are VERY brave and just cut strips for a border and use those straight edges to determine the last edge. The five quilts we created at the Project Linus (back a few pages) sew-in were done without trimming ... (not so brave, just not very good about being exact). I think they turned out well, since most of the edges didn't turn out to be all that uneven. <wave>