Can I put my projects on ice?

Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Can I put my projects on ice?

I'm going to HAVE to clear some space in the house to make room for the family for the holidays. I have a detached art studio that's one of those pre-fab sheds and we added electricity and insulation. I heat it with two oil-filled radiator space heaters, which keep it above 50 usually, although occasionally someone forgets and turns them off, so it gets really cold.

Can I safely store some sewing machines there if it does get very cold? Does it make a difference if they're treadle or electric?

By the way, does anybody have any recommendations for how to heat a space like this more consistently, cheaply, and effectively?

Linda of the Good Intentions
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Many vintage machines have crazing on the shellac and other paint issues due to the heat/cold of attics, basements, garages etc. So, the climate does effect them long term. However, like you, space is a premium and heating and cooling spaces just for machines is hard to rationalize for most people. For me, the best way I deal with space and heating/cooling concerns is to keep any machine with nylon/plastic gears or parts in my house. They're either in a closet or set up in a room. Parts machines are kept in my unheated or cooled garage. I don't care if the finish of the machine is effected. Any parts like bobbin winder tires and belts that are also effected by the climate are usually removed. Similarly, machines that I treasure are all kept inside. Vintage machines have survived in unheated spaces and will continue to do so, but generally the ones in the best condition have been stored in the home. I think you're fine if your machines are kept out of the elements, away from moisture and are typically kept at a decent temp. I don't think a few cold spells like you describe will hurt them. I would not let any computerized machines freeze, though. I think your machines have a nicer life than most!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM

It would be best if you can keep the temperature above freezing. Newer painted machines are safer than black japanned ones for cold storage. There are portable thermostats available to plug your heaters in. This is one of the first ones I found.
http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Co...ter+thermostat
Rodney
Old 11-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

I have bought a few machines that have been on ice for a while so I have some opinions. (Heat, too) Yes, all of the above... The other problem you can get into is rust. Machines stored in a plastic or wooden case survived better than no case or table. Keep it up off the ground if there is moisture involved. Keep the temp fairly consistent so you don't get 'sweat' - then rust. I also think the machines that didn't rust were coated in oil at least in the moving areas. Not T-F but SM oil of some sort. Keep the shed door secure. If it is an old machine that was made before central heat, you can bet mechanically it will handle the extremes - it probably had to.
I have one that was setting near an open barn door in a table. I restored it as best as I could. It will never be as pretty as it once was - black chrome....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499952[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499953[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499954[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails may-19-2012-002.jpg   may-19-2012-001.jpg   may-19-2012-003.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 11-23-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:49 AM

If you put them out there, put an old quilt over them. They will appreciate the love!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:49 AM

I'm hoping some of mine do not get damaged. Due to no more room I've had put them in the garage. The treadles and cabinets are covered with quilted covers but it's still cold out there. When I get to a bigger house they'll come inside where it's more controlled. But for now they gotta stay outside. Joe
Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

The quilts may hold dampness...
Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The quilts may hold dampness...
Ugh .... I didn't think of that ....

Joe
Old 11-23-2014, 12:10 PM

I have always been lucky enough to not have to store my machines outside of the house. But your oil filled radiator heaters are the most economical and safest of all the space heaters on the market today. I had to heat my dbl. wide with 4 of these when my furnace died. We were warmer and my electric bill went from $300+ to the $140's . The space heaters with fans are very expensive to run.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Don't know about cold weather for machines but I'm assuming if it's covered, wouldn't hurt just 3 days or so. As for heat...I love the infrared heater from northern tools or harbor freight. I'm sure Sears and a there's have them. Just read the room size it will heat.