Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting projects during an ice storm >

quilting projects during an ice storm

quilting projects during an ice storm

Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 PM

Default quilting projects during an ice storm

Like lots of others that are dealing with weather mayhem, we are anticipating freezing rain starting tonight and going through tomorrow night. Since we live in the country, if we lose our power, we'll be out for several days(at least). So I am planning my "no power" quilting projects. I did spend all afternoon doing a total cleaning of my long arm since overdue. And if I have power I'll be using my new accuquilt Go Big! (DH gift to me for Christmas), but if no power, I'm going to clean the sewing room, pull out all the materials needed for Guild beginner classes I'm going to be teaching, and maybe do some playing around with an art quilt that I'm now considering doing some ink work on instead of applique.

I don't have any handwork projects in progress and not interested in starting one--any other ideas for no electricity times?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 PM

I have a hand crank and treadle ready to go just I case we loose power. It is very unlikely but like to be prepared.
hope your power stays on but just I case how about cutting pieces for you next project or your teaching plan.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:34 AM

I found a great antique sewing machine and ordered a hand-crank/spoke for it and took off the motor and put on the crank. It works beautifully especially when we have a power outage or when I just want to sew pieces for a quilt in a very quiet way. The hand crank and the hand spoke wheel were only about $49.00 from Sew-Classic.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:47 AM

I have hand embroidery ready to do when daytime power is lost. For night, it doesn't work for me because of the lack of adequate light. It makes for good family time with board games. I do have a treadle machine and love to get it out and sew when the daytime power is down. It is hard to plan for best use of quilting progress without power so it is a good time to catch up on keeping things in order or returning them to their proper places. It is an opportunity to catch up on things. We have alternative heating sources because the furnace needs electricity. And, we have alternative cooking sources also. During the winter I am careful to not run out of basic food items so we are 'snug as bugs in a rug'.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:16 AM

I have an old treadle I can use if our electric goes out. we are in the country too but have been lucky not to loose power for much time. If a person had some binding to put on, that would be great to snuggle up to a quilt that needs the finishing touch. I may make nylon crocheted scrubbies or look at some of my old quilt books. Like you we have alternative heating sources, but great idea to have something to work on.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 AM

The blizzard we had all day yesterday is over, but the streets are still filled with snow. We had electricity, so yesterday was a complete sewing day for me. The only thing I can do with no electricity is crochet edging around fleece for Linus blankets.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I know what it is like with no power in Kansas. Use to visit my great aunts and uncles on my many road trips to NYC. I have a hand project always nearby of hexes.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 AM

I have an unfinished needle-turned applique project and an unfinished hand quilting project. I'm not sure my eyes would let me work on either without good light.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 AM

I have a quilt on the frame that I am hand quilting. I will work on that if the power goes out. We are getting freezing rain and sleet right now. The wind is picking up and temps are dropping. We are expecting 9 to 12 inches of snow on top of the ice. It's a good day to stay home.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 AM

If we lose power, I'll be sitting here in the dark and freezing. I've already cancelled 2 dr. appts. for today. DD was supposed to take me, but her car has an inch of ice on it already, her husband doesn't want her driving. I had foot surgery last week and there's no way I am attempting to go anywhere by myself.