Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting projects during an ice storm >

quilting projects during an ice storm

quilting projects during an ice storm

Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

We have lived through many a power outage, usually because of hurricanes, and then even though I have a treadle and a hand crank, we are all distracted looking for ice, a place to charge our cell phones (we had a true land line which never went out, but that didn't do any good for news updates) and trying to keep cool. I am in awe of all of you who can concentrate in less than desirable conditions.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 AM

As Iowa may be in the bad weather area too I keep a couple hand sewing on binding projects nearby. Have enough to take me into 2 days work.

Right now its blowing snow and has been since 8 AM this morning. We had about an inch of ice on the walks and driveways yesterday though the main roads were okay to venture out onto. Haven't seen too many folks out and about this morning so think they're playing it safe and staying indoors.

Good luck to all those in the really bad areas.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Hope you are also all being super safe when out driving to and from the fabric store
Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM

I usually clean up, plan new projects and cut during outages. Ours don't usually last long except for the every 10 year hurricane that knocks it out for a few days. If it's out for more than a short while and I finished the above, I lay on the couch and read. What a luxury!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I make sure all my batteries for flashlights are good. I load up the garage with dry fire wood. You can't do much without light and heat.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Well, we lucked out--the driving rain and gale force winds last night were ferocious, but the temps didn't really drop until things had slowed some--so a slick of ice with snow/sleet mix on top--and the temps are continuing to drop so the standing water/mud will be frozen by tomorrow morning. So glad--I'd prepped flashlights, got the camp cook stove ready, DH had wood in garage for fireplace--figured if we did all the prep stuff it would hex the storm! So I did play with the Accuquilt Go Big and love it! Also, put together a lap quilt that my Guild is going to help teach at a local high school and pulled out my Beginner class teaching stuff and have figured out what needs to be updated.

Thoughts and prayers to all that are dealing with flooding, blizzard or lots of ice. Stay safe!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 AM

If there was enough natural light I would go through my pattern books to see which pattern was do-able with my fabric for my next project.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:35 AM

When we've been without power for days due to hurricanes we have been too busy chopping up downed trees, etc. to worry about finding a sewing project. LOL Not enough light at night for me to see well enough for hand work.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Being a good Michigander, I also prepared for the ice storm. Brought in wood for the fire place, pulled frozen chicken out of to make chicken soup and made sure the candles were close at hand. We got the storm but never lost power in my area. I worked on making six extra squares for my guild's exchange block quilt. Needed 6 more to make a good layout. Plan on putting the last three blocks together tonight and then start turning the squares into a flimzie or is it flimsy? Border tomorrow and ready to layer at my next guild work day.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
If we lose power, I'll be sitting here in the dark and freezing.
LOL, yep, that's what I do too. Or just go to bed to keep warm.