15-91 bobbin issues

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM

Default 15-91 bobbin issues

I had to order a replacement bobbin case for my 15-91 and I am not sure if it that or my machine is giving me trouble. The machine will sew fine for a few stitches, then stop, and the bobbin thread won't come out anymore. So, I cut the thread, open the slide plate, remove bobbin case and the thread is so tight it won't pull out. It was doing fine when I put it in. I have checked to make sure I am threading the bobbin correctly, thread coming over the top, but still it does this. So, is the machine messing up or the bobbin case? It almost seems like the bobbins don't fit properly (I am currently using some metal ones I bought at Hancock Fabrics, not the Dritz brand). Since the case is brand new I did not think it would need to be adjusted. I ordered it from Sew Classic. Also, I have read on QB to use the metal bobbins in these machines, but Sew Classic recommends the plastic...should I go w/those since I ordered the case from there also?

I hope my description makes some sense. Thanks for any help,
Jp
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM

The metal bobbins Sew-Classic sells are fine with one proviso. The little notch that engages the little tab to spin the bobbin is sometimes not big enough. The plastic ones are. However I have some of the new bobbins from S-C and do use them in my 15-91 with good success.

The bobbins from the box stores are hit or miss in quality. Before declaring the bobbin case at fault, try some different bobbins.

Also remember when you put a full bobbin in the case it should turn clockwise when you pull on the thread.
And it doesn't hurt to check the tension on the case. Just because it's new does not mean it's correctly adjusted.

Joe
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM

First of all, I gotta say I love my 15's. I use both metal bobbins as well as the plastic ones in my machines with no problems. I also have ordered from sew classic and never any issues with their products. Let's see what others post on this. I would be interested in the response.
Also, have you changed your needle? Sometimes that can be the answer. Also, check your tension on the case.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Try pulling out several feet of thread slowly from the bobbin case, and see if you can find where it gets tight. Then put it in the machine and do the same thing - running it through the needle hole.

Then try giving it a quick pull and see if you can get it to lock up.

I have run into the problem when the bobbins didn't fit quite right - they were a bit loose and if the machine gave a quicker jerk, the bobbin would spin inside the case and then the thread would wrap around and then get underneath itself -and then tighten up and snap.

Also - check how you are winding the thread on the bobbin. I've run into a lot of bobbins (coming with old machines) that were wound with poor tension, and then the thread gets underneath lower levels and will not pull off correctly - and gets tight and breaks. I've had some so bad I had to cut the threads off the bobbin.

Always makes me wonder if some machines got relegated to the closet because the owner didn't know how to wind a bobbin and kept breaking thread.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I will check the tension. I just took for granted it would be correct since it was new. I am using a new needle, and I think I have the bobbin in the case correctly. I think what Cathy described is what is happening...the bobbin not fitting quite right. So, how do I know if I have a good fit?

The little bit that I have used this machine I have liked, but these small issues are frustrating me.

Do any of you sew w/the knee lever? I find it to be very tricky, maybe once I get use to it I will like it. It seems that is how my mom always used this machine. Guess it's like treadling, just gotta practice.

BYT, I do not feel it is a quality issue w/the SC part, I have ordered several things from her w/no complaints, just wanted to mention that part to figure out where my problem might be, in the event there is a bobbin/bobbin case compatibility issue.

Thanks,
Jp
Old 02-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Jp,

I have several cabinet machines with the knee bar controller. I don't particularly care for them. There is always a lot of slack in the linkage and that combined with the slack in the controller button makes smooth control of the machine iffy. I've taken to removing the controller from the bracket and using it as a foot controller.

Joe
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM

You can't take it for granted that the bobbin case tension is correct because it's new. It could easily be too loose or tight and you should check that.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Pop the Bobbin out of the Bobbin Case and check for a wrap or two around the center tube in the Bobbin Case.

Sometimes, when a Bobbin is wound with a large quantity of thread, a loop or two of thread can hop outside of the Bobbin and down around the center tube. When the slack in the loop gets used, the half-hitch around the tube puts a stop to things.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM

I feel like I have to comment on your problem. My DGS's machine is a 201 but the problem sounds exactly the same. The machine he found had the bobbin case but no bobbins. He bought bobbins at local sewing shop and the bobbins were winding up the thread and then, the thread was breaking. The bobbins were so tight in the bobbin area (no case on a 201) that they would get stuck. One of the bobbins even came apart when he tried to take it out.

So, back to the store we went... told them of the problem ... ask if they had given him the wrong bobbins. We showed them the bobbin that came apart and they were....'we've never seen that happen before'. They showed us the packages and we decided to pass them up and go to Hancock's fabrics. We bought a different brand.... same problem. When I got back home (800 miles away) I had purchased a machine in a cabinet that had .... would you believe... some 201 bobbins in it. So, I sent them to my DGS and he tried them. Perfect fit..... never a problem. So he used a micrometer to measure the diameter of the bobbins. Sure enough, the new bobbins were just slightly larger. So when the bobbin would spin......motion creates a tiny expansion..... bobbins get stuck and almost fuse in the bobbin area.

Ever since that experience I'll never buy bobbins at the box stores or LQSs. I'll only buy bobbins from Jenny at sew-classic. I never have any problems with hers. And, most of the time, I find bobbins at auctions or estate sales..... they get separated from their machines somehow.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM

I just thought of another problem I had with bobbin thread breaking. I bought a 15-91 that didn't have a cord so I didn't get a chance to try out the machine. I figured I could get a cord and still not spend much since it was an auction, I bid $10 and got it. Anyway, when the cord came, I threaded it up and started sewing. It would stitch a few stitches and break the thread. I opened up the slide plate and watched as the thread looped around the case. The little finger piece that you grab to remove the bobbin case was bent a little. The thread was catching on that finger piece and getting stuck..... then the thread would break. I thought, Oh no..... bobbin cases are expensive. But the case for the 15-91 was about $5.00.... yeah! Now, that machine sews like a dream..... just needed a new cord and a new case. I have a total of $25-30 in her... not bad.