View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
nanna-up-north

I feel like I have to comment on your problem. My DGS's machine is a 201 but the problem sounds exactly the same. The machine he found had the bobbin case but no bobbins. He bought bobbins at local sewing shop and the bobbins were winding up the thread and then, the thread was breaking. The bobbins were so tight in the bobbin area (no case on a 201) that they would get stuck. One of the bobbins even came apart when he tried to take it out.

So, back to the store we went... told them of the problem ... ask if they had given him the wrong bobbins. We showed them the bobbin that came apart and they were....'we've never seen that happen before'. They showed us the packages and we decided to pass them up and go to Hancock's fabrics. We bought a different brand.... same problem. When I got back home (800 miles away) I had purchased a machine in a cabinet that had .... would you believe... some 201 bobbins in it. So, I sent them to my DGS and he tried them. Perfect fit..... never a problem. So he used a micrometer to measure the diameter of the bobbins. Sure enough, the new bobbins were just slightly larger. So when the bobbin would spin......motion creates a tiny expansion..... bobbins get stuck and almost fuse in the bobbin area.

Ever since that experience I'll never buy bobbins at the box stores or LQSs. I'll only buy bobbins from Jenny at sew-classic. I never have any problems with hers. And, most of the time, I find bobbins at auctions or estate sales..... they get separated from their machines somehow.