Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1889 Singer Vibrating Shuttle No. 2

1889 Singer Vibrating Shuttle No. 2

Who can tell me about this machine. I just inherited it through my mothers uncle's wife. I will post pictures this evening upon returning to work. It needs cleaned thoroughly which I know nothing about. The cabinet is not in great shape but for 123 years old and still on this earth, I'll keep it!!

Thank you for any info. you can provide!

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Muv
    Hello Kyiav, I have just checked and found that it is the same as a model 27.

Watch all my videos about cleaning machines and threading long bobbin machines. Also I have done a video about adjusting the tension on a long bobbin machine.

If you click on the link you will go straight to my Youtube channel. Also you can click on the link to my blog, where you will find more information. I have posted a fair bit there about shuttles.

Glenn is the person on this board who knows all about cabinets and wood.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Thank you muv! I think the videos may be the ones I found earlier.

Is it something that I can do myself. I am wondering if I should have someone else do it the first time?

Muv
    Hello Kyiav,

Of course you can do it yourself... if I can do it anyone can. I never pick up a screw driver unless it is to tinker with a sewing machine. I'm not a mechanically minded person, it's just that I love sewing and sewing machines. If you don't feel confident at first, have someone with you and do it together. There is absolutely no need to part with cash to get someone else to do it.

Blog Entries
    You can do it. Sort of like Bob the Builder. Muv has absolutely the best videos. Watch them a few times - there isn't much to these machines - not much to go wrong. I say give it a try. Post some before and after pics. If you get hung up somewhere let us know and we might be able to help you fix it!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thank you

Thank you both for your responses. I will attempt it next Tuesday and Wednesday. I will post some pics.

Kyia
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    I love to do binding.

Blog Entries
    I predict that you won't have much trouble. That looks like a very nice one - is there any rust on the bottom end? If not you can use Muv's gentle methods and very quickly and easily have a very nice working sewing machine!!! Be careful cleaning those decals - they can be very fragile - those look to be in really good shape! Glenn has a very nice tutorial on fixing the cabinets.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Muv
    Kyia - It's really pretty! Don't expect the metal to come up shiny, it won't because a lot of the chrome has gone, but give the metal a good cleaning. You have no idea how proud you will be once the job is done.

Thank you Miriam and Muv. Looking forward to watching the videos Muv. I am sure I will learn a lot!

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Blog Entries
    be sure to make yourself a pot of tea when you watch the videos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast