Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 27 Vibrating Shuttle - How do you know which shuttle will fit? >

Singer 27 Vibrating Shuttle - How do you know which shuttle will fit?

Singer 27 Vibrating Shuttle - How do you know which shuttle will fit?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 AM

Default Singer 27 Vibrating Shuttle - How do you know which shuttle will fit?

I just received my 1907 Singer 27 in the mail (another of those shipping nightmares, but that's another story). It has a wire carrier for the shuttle, how do I know which shuttle to purchase? I see several that say they fit the 27,28, 127 and 128 but are all created equally?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hummer Lady View Post
I just received my 1907 Singer 27 in the mail (another of those shipping nightmares, but that's another story). It has a wire carrier for the shuttle, how do I know which shuttle to purchase? I see several that say they fit the 27,28, 127 and 128 but are all created equally?
Not at all. Every few years they changed the shuttle, so I would look for an exact match if I were you. I think the early 20th century version had a bobbin ejector and I don't know if they're interchangable.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hummer Lady View Post
...1907 Singer 27...has a wire carrier for the shuttle, how do I know which shuttle to purchase?
From what I understand, the change in Singer long bobbins came along with the change to the shuttle carrier that was fitted with the shuttle ejector. That newer carrier also had a thin metal “spring” in it to cradle the shuttle, probably to help quiet the machine down some while making it easier for the user to get the shuttle in and out.

I don’t know if the Model 27 ever came out with the ejection carrier in later years, but older models had the “bare-bones” carrier that requires a shuttle with the small divot in the nose of the shuttle. The divot is required for the carrier to hold the nose of the shuttle.

On the other hand, either shuttle (with or without the divot in the nose) should work fine in the ejection carrier, since the shuttle is held in by the spring cradle. The Model 127 machines that I’ve seen have had the ejection carrier.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 AM

I could not remember if the older or newer required the divot- but like CD said, if you requires the divot, you need it , and if not, than you can use either.

or is it this divot? I'm looking through my pictures because I knew someone asked this before, but now I'm not sure if this second set is Singer because I can't see the "waist" on them.

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-20-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:48 AM

The divot is the second picture. There's a tab on the carrier that fits into it. I have a 1908 model 27 that uses that style.
Rodney
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 PM

Ok- so the divot in the first picture does not matter, but I've noticed that the some of the singer shuttles had it and the older did not - but don't know if it really served a purpose or not. I think it was the newer ones that have it. But maybe that was something the companies that used the same shuttle as Singer came up with to make theirs different. I should check my Boye shuttles and see how they compare. I have machines by Singer, Free and White that take that style/size shuttle.

At least it's real easy to identify - the only one with the "waist".
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 PM

You all are great. I knew one of you could answer my question. Super. I so appreciate the help.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The divot is the second picture. There's a tab on the carrier that fits into it. I have a 1908 model 27 that uses that style.
Rodney
Rodney,
Just to be clear...could you post a picture of your carrier and your shuttle?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:54 AM

I need to figure out where I put the cable for the camera. I'll be happy to then.
Rodney