1904 Singer Treadle Model 27

Old 04-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Default 1904 Singer Treadle Model 27

I was lucky enough to buy this machine from an elderly lady who said it was her grandmothers. It moves beautifully but I won't run it until I clean and oil it. The cabinet is in great shape except for the SINGER lettering in the stand, the G is broken so I have a SINCER....lol I am lucky, it has not rust and the Singer emblems on the legs are beautiful.

I have a couple of questions: What needles does it use? I have seen so many listed online that I don't have a clue.

Do I need to use something other than machine oil on it? Are there places that actually need a lube?

Also, it has seen a lot of use. The decals are in rough shape, not destroyed, but not perfect. The bed is what I am most concerned about "fixing". It is heavily pitted and I would like to keep it from becoming worse....what can I do to seal it?

It does not look like it has been abused, just well used and I love that look. I have no intentions on trying to make it look "off the shelf".

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Marilyn
Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 PM

It takes the same needle that modern Singers take, and it only needs to be kept oiled after you get it cleaned up.

I've ended up with several early 27's. Most in quite bad shape that came in a group with a bunch of cabinets and parts I was after. They all have Sphinx decals, which seem to be rather delicate.

I have two others for my collection, a pheasant decal model from 1894

and a Tiffany decal pattern from 1907

Would love to see pictures of your machine!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the needle and oil info! I will post pictures later, right now I am on a couple of quilt deadlines...I can hardly wait to start cleaning her up. I have read the QB posts so I have a pretty good idea what I need to do. Your machines are beautiful.

Last edited by Marich52; 04-02-2016 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add info