Elna SP

Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 AM

Default Elna SP

I just got this machine that was listed on CL for $40. I know absolutely nothing about Elna Sewing Machines but it came with a manual and my sister has the Elna SU so I figured between the two of them I could surely figure it out. I was wanting a machine made in Switzerland but the Berninas are always way out of my price range and this seemed reasonable to me. Does anyone know if $40 was a fair price for this machine. I had no accessories, just a manual and foot pedal. From what I can determine it takes a standard short shank foot but I am not at all sure about the bobbins. The three bobbins that came with the machine have a solid back and holes on the other side but I can't determine if it is a regular class 15 bobbin or not or maybe it is a class 66. Again I need some input from you Elna owners.
Attached Thumbnails elna-resized.jpg   elna-back-resized.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 AM

If it runs and stitches it's a good price. Luckily it takes general low shank feet. The bobbins are preferable Elna original, because of the curved sides and they are a bit taller than class 66. My Supermatic seem to handle class 66 reasonably well though. I only have 6 original Elna bobbins, I can live with it, but want a few more. Don't use class 15, the are too tall and flat sided (will interfere with the bobbin tension spring), the flat sides can damage the plastic part in the bobbin case and doesn't turn as smoothly. I haven't had my hands on the flat bed version you have. Yours looks like it doesn't take cams, from the picture I can't see any lid covering the Elnagraph. Some SU models only had a few built in stitches in addition to zigzag.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-01-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 AM

I can only tell you this, as I bought my Elna in the late 60's, any Elna made in Switzerland is a great machine. I don't know about your particular model , as mine is a free-arm and has the Elnagraph and cams . When I have a tough job to sew, I get out the Elna, as I know it will do the job, like going through rug canvas and heavy brocade fabric. I would never willingly give up this machine.

Last edited by Yooper32; 04-02-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Like Yooper32, I bought my Elna in 67 and then I paid $1000 for it. Recently had tune-up and repair guy told me my machine is the "Gold Standard" machine! Mine had cams and used the Elna bobbins. I wouldn't use any other bobbin to avoid damage. This is my back-up now as I embroider on D1. But my first embroideries were done on the Elna. You got a deal, but I'd get it tuned-up before using. Good luck with your buy!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I bought a used Elna SU in 1975 and wore it out. All I can say is try hard to wear it out... And get you $40 worth... Ivan if the machine doesn't work you should have $40 worth of parts. If you keep it cleaned and oiled I think it should be good for a very long time. That was why mine wore out. Clean the bobbin area every time you change a bobbin. Lint goes down in the gears and you are sunk.

Your pictures aren't loading all the way on my iPad but I think I have an Elna just like that. I'm thinking it has a couple different stitches and should be a really good basic machine if kept cleaned, oiled and used often. The spool pins should pull up. Some make a terrible racket when down. I would tend to leave them up so they don't break. You are very lucky to have a manual!

Last edited by miriam; 04-02-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 AM

I have had an Elna SU since early 70's and love it. They are great machines, all metal. You got a great deal in my opinion!