1935 Featherweight Singer.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
...I've had my FW and its stinky case for almost two years now. I have tried every remedy available online to get the stink out... have asked for advice on this board... and nothing has worked. I now have the case double-bagged (inside two heavy-duty trash bags) in my basement, and as soon as I walk down there, the stench assaults me...
Having it in the basement, lid closed and packed in plastic bas are probably the main reason nothing is working. Have it in a heated room, lid open, on the porch on nice days; poor a pound of bicarbonate in there; replace with new now and then; it will soon improve (like three weeks), but keep at it (!), it takes a year or two to air out completely. All the tricks mentioned works, but it takes diligence and perseverance

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-27-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DKuehn View Post
Also, I'm not sure why the forum turns some pictures upside down, I've seen that happen a few times.
When the picture is not right side up, right click on the picture. When the box comes up, click on "View image". Works every time for me. If the picture is sideways, it becomes right side up. If the picture is upside down, it becomes right side up.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DKuehn View Post
...Also, I'm not sure why the forum turns some pictures upside down, I've seen that happen a few times.
It is most likely not the Forum doing this. People do not tent to pay attention to how their phoneis when taking pictures. the phone tries to figure out "up" and adjusts. the Forum (and PC's) do not. you see what you have taken.

on your PC you can right click on a file listing of the picture and select "rotate clockwise" or "rotate counter-clockwise"
Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It is most likely not the Forum doing this. People do not tent to pay attention to how their phoneis when taking pictures. the phone tries to figure out "up" and adjusts. the Forum (and PC's) do not. you see what you have taken. On your PC you can right click on a file listing of the picture and select "rotate clockwise" or "rotate counter-clockwise"
On your PC you can do that to your own pictures, but once they get on here and are wrong, see my post above.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

She looks beautiful even if she is upside down. Congrats on your purchase. I have always wanted one.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 AM

It might actually be earlier than that, even! One of mine is from the first batch of 10,000 whose serial numbers were released in November 1933, and it has that "school bell" tensioner. What is the serial number? I'm dying to know if our machines are issue-date "twins"! Yours is in MUCH better shape than mine.
Ila
Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM

They are all right. The deodorant soap, still in the box, but open, replace that stinky felt. Desiccant, from the internet, in all sizes and kinds, and lots of sunlight are all helpful. The glue in the old boxes was animal hide based and it gets moldy. Replacing the felt every few years helped mine. Felts are found at Sew-Classic.com. I now use a rolling case to transport the machine so I can take more items to classes and guild. The old case got a good bit of desiccant, deodorant soap, dryer sheets etc. Put it out in the sun on dry and sunny days and don't let the dew get on it. Medicines sometimes have desiccant capsules inside and I used those until finding an inexpensive source on Ebay for $2.95. I sprayed the tray from the case with black spray paint and that helped the most. It comes in wrought iron that seems to look the best. Desperate measures for desperate folks. If you are a die hard purist, then rejoice in the smell that nearly all Featherweights have as "normal".
Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
It might actually be earlier than that, even! One of mine is from the first batch of 10,000 whose serial numbers were released in November 1933, and it has that "school bell" tensioner. What is the serial number? I'm dying to know if our machines are issue-date "twins"! Yours is in MUCH better shape than mine.
Ila

That's really cool. I have one of the first 10,000 black 301s.

Cari
Old 01-29-2016, 07:51 PM

One thing I just noticed -- does your hand wheel not have the chrome rim? It should. Maybe someone changed your hand wheel at some point.
And it could just be the photo... my eyes aren't what they used to be.
Ila