Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
2 new machines - the bug bit again... >

2 new machines - the bug bit again...

2 new machines - the bug bit again...

Old 05-10-2015, 12:18 PM

Default 2 new machines - the bug bit again...

it's been a while since I've been enthusiastic about antique and vintage machines- it comes in waves I guess! got busy with work and had to start exercising and getting healthier after physical last year but I still love the old machines - get frustrated at the lack of time I have for messing with them and using them - but yesterday I just HAD to unwind and spent the day at an antique store that specializes in the old machines. (not gonna find a huge bargain there for the most part since its how she earns a paycheck!) but I dont have time for a fix er uppers anyways and enjoy talking with her and sometimes something just 'calls' my name. it happened twice yesterday - actually a couple more were whispering but couldnt justify them (well I could have if the checking account ok'd it -which it didn't...) anyways will try to post pics but haven't had much luck.

please ignore the pillow - I havent used this room as a bedroom in years - it's been sorta like storage but now I want to get rid of the kingsize bed and use the wall area for machines and the middle for exercise. was typing this earlier but guess it was on the failed pics posts I backed out of!

the first I think she said is a singer 185 handcrank (I know it's a singer and handcrank - pretty obvious- but wasn't paying close attention as it wasnt labeled when I saw it. It's not what I'm normally drawn to- I want a handcrank that's all pretty with flowers/roses/blossoms - that kind of look- and that other base- fiddle? - think it's called. some of y'all have these beauties since this is where I saw them and got the fever! but this one had nice decals and I took it out and started sewing with her and it was just instant attraction. plain gold decals werent my thing but I just love her!

the other caught my eye as I walked in the shop - just looks so sleek and blue! Fleetwood JA19 195 TW not sure if that whole thing is the model or not - and happened to see one on ebay as I was searching online for information about these. I wasn't particularly looking for either- I had gone in mainly just to unwind and look around. she had a lot more vintage machines this time- usually featherweights and antique/treadles are her mainstays.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-185.jpg   fleetwooda.jpg  

Last edited by quilt938; 05-10-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 PM

don't know why the first pic looks so hugemongous - I edited both in paint to 50% but guess it didnt save too well. hopefully it's ok.

the machine I had my eye on for possible future is a pink atlas but it needs rewiring and will be pricey - $300 or so once it's spruced up. not sure I wanna justify that though I paid much more than anyone here probably would have paid for these 2 - the fleetwood came with a cabinet - simple one with the worthless fake drawer! I just like it though. I still want a hot pink morse like someone here posted a link to sometime last year- I was followng my budget pretty closely (and had already cheated on another machine earlier that month) so I let it get away..sigh...for some reason I'm now fascinated with the cool colors/dials...may have to get off this board again!
Old 05-10-2015, 12:38 PM

The handcrank machine is a very nice looking Singer 128. You can find it's age here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
I wouldn't snub those decals. It's a great looking machine and the original crank is a very nice bonus. I like hand crank machines, they're nice for fine work. If you know any kids that want to sew a hand crank machine is perfect. Kids love using them.
Your Fleetwood is a nice looking Japanese Singer 15 clone. The JA 19 number is a manufacturer code. Someone here can probably tell you who made it or at least where to look to find out.
Congrats on your new machines!
Rodney
Old 05-10-2015, 12:40 PM

thanks Rodney - i do like the decals but it's odd how I just 'took' to this particular machine when it didnt have what I thought I wanted - lots and lots of flowers! I think I'm gonna love sewing on her- already thinking about starting a string quilt or doing my block of the month on her...
Old 05-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Looks like you're going to have fun!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:27 PM

Both gorgeous machines! The Fleetwood looks like the Sewmor I've seen several times on eBay and GW online, but I don't know if Sewmor is the original manufacturer or if it's someone else. A style and color I would like to have!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM

thanks! I just love the look of 15s I had to make myself walk away from them the couple of times I've seen them at that shop! I seem to just gravitate towards them.

the fleetwood was 'as is' I couldnt' tell anything was wrong - she checks them to make sure the turn on and stuff moves but other than that they're either sold 'as is' or you pay more and have it serviced. if I'd had more time we probably could have played with it a bit but the price suited me and I figure if I have a problem I can always ask or take it in and get help with it but it looked pretty clean and the cords looked ok.

I'm drooling over all the color machines and the stuff from the 50s with the cool dials. the singer is sitting on another faker drawer cabinet(why the heck didn't they just make a small pull open drawer for crying out loud?!) with a singer 301 in it - it's one my mom found at a bargain at one of their many estate sales (aka garage sales down here) it's black with a tan bed which makes me think somewhere is the bed to a longbed - one of my dream machines) though this same shop has the 2 tone 301s ...2 of them that haven't been spruced up yet. there may be a future trip planned...
Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 AM

does anyone have the link that was posted a while back - pretty sure I saw it here- that had the letters for clone manufacturers and who made them? I saw one that looks like mine on ebay and they said 'toyota' but don't know if that's right or not