Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
2 Vintage Singer Machines, 2 problems. >

2 Vintage Singer Machines, 2 problems.

2 Vintage Singer Machines, 2 problems.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Question 2 Vintage Singer Machines, 2 problems.

1) My Singer 503 has developed a loose top tension. Book says: turn tension to a higher number. The stitch looks different, but still too loose, so moving the tension doesn't solve it. I even adjusted the bobbin tension a tad. What can I try next ?

2) My Singer 99 draws fabric in, then lists (pulls) slightly to one side, then sews ok for a while, then repeats. Never replaced feed dogs in my life, is this the problem ?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 PM

adjust the bobbin tension a lot.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 PM

1) You say it has just developed this problem - Have you changed threads and/or needle sizes? Sometimes just re-threading following the instructions helps - especially when using different machines. My first thought is that the thread may not be going through the discs properly and also the check spring with the presser foot up. You can kind of test the top tension by threading past the tension dial and then tugging on the thread first with the foot raised (thread should pull through easily and then lower the foot and see if there is some resistance). You could lower the foot and set tension to zero and then increase to higher numbers and see if gets harder to pull the thread as you increase the tension. It might be time to clean the discs or the whole tension unit. There are many instructions for removing, cleaning and replacing the tension assembly on the web. Take pictures and lay out in the order taken off, before cleaning and so you know how it goes back together. From my understanding and experience, only rarely should the bobbin tension need to be adjusted and also that it is a very "fine" adjustment.

2) I've not had any experience, but am wondering if this is a new problem. Also, I would be curious to know if you are using a hinged foot or a solid one. Is it the same kind of fabric that you have sewn with before? If you set the foot down on the feed dogs do they look parallel to each other?

Maybe, someone else has some other thoughts, but these are where I would start.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:23 AM

Are these new machines to you? I would double check threading on the 503, make sure the bobbin thread is in the tension spring and the top thread should go inbetween the two disks in the tensioner. Like Janey mentions, check that tension gradually increases from 0 to 9 by pulling the thread. It should relase when presser bar lever is up, and grip when down (when needle is up it releases too). Top tension some times needs a bit of cleaning.

Regarding bobbin tension, in my experience it often needs adjustment when going from a light weight thread to top stitch and vise versa.

For the 99, I would take out the bobbin case, screw of the needle plate and check for fluff, threads, etc. Slide the bobbin plate off and there is a lever you take to the side, it releases the bobbin case. Double check for correct threading; the only place you can go wrong on the 99 is after the tensioner, when the thread is behind the spring and inbeween the two disks there, it goes in to the hole on the small hook shaped part to the left of if, then to the take up lever. For both your models it's important that the bobbin goes in the correct way from which it is wound. The 99 can act up in all kinds of ways if it's not oiled well. Needle in flat side to the right, threads from left to right.

Feed dogs on a 99 is usually fine, but double check they are aligned with the holes in the needle plate and doesn't hit the plate when turning. Ideally they should be paralell with each other. If the teeth looks reasonably good I would suspect the problem lies elsewhere. When you take off the needle plate check that they are in firm, and not loose. Do you have the version with a round stitch length knob, or lever with reverse stitching? The 99 is a very nice machine when cleaned, oiled and set up right.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-11-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
... check that tension gradually increases from 0 to 9 by pulling the thread. It should relase when presser bar lever is up, and grip when down (when needle is up it releases too).
That is a better way of wording how to check tension. I just tested all needle positions with presser foot down and there is always tension on the thread. It does not release no matter what position the needle is in.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
... the only place you can go wrong on the 99 is after the tensioner, when the thread is behind the spring and inbeween the two disks there, it goes in to the hole on the small hook shaped part to the left of if, then to the take up lever.
Per the instructions, the thread does NOT go in to the hole in the thread regulator (hook shaped part) for normal sewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549746[/ATTACH]

It is used for DARNING OR EMBROIDERING shown later in the manual.

As Mickey2 mentioned,
  • "check for fluff, threads, etc" (remember "Marge" had that tiny bit of thread your DH picked out with a pin to get it "purring along")
  • "Double check for correct threading" (both bobbin & needle)
  • "The 99 is a very nice machine when cleaned, oiled and set up right." (True of most these vintage machines)

Something else to double check - the pressure regulating dial and the throat plate position. Don't ask me how I know about pressure changing the thread tension .

Good luck on getting all your machines purring nicely again.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails 99-threadingupper.jpg  
Old 05-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Thanks' for the info Janey. In all the years I've had this 99K, I've always threaded through that hole! Tension is adjusted threaded like this, and it sews perfectly, but I have never managed to darn or free motion well on it. This just might be the reason. I have the original manual for the machine some where, it dates to 1934 and has the tensioner with out the numbered dial.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM

I have a Singer 15 something repro that fed fabric weird. The feed dog screws were loose.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 PM

I was lubricating a friend's machine Tuesday and discovered a loose screw in the undercarriage. I try to remember to check all the screws I can reach when I clean a machine for this very reason. Some just get loose over time!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 AM

How are you doing Tranum? Did you get anywhere with your two machines?