View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 04:12 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
... check that tension gradually increases from 0 to 9 by pulling the thread. It should relase when presser bar lever is up, and grip when down (when needle is up it releases too).
That is a better way of wording how to check tension. I just tested all needle positions with presser foot down and there is always tension on the thread. It does not release no matter what position the needle is in.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
... the only place you can go wrong on the 99 is after the tensioner, when the thread is behind the spring and inbeween the two disks there, it goes in to the hole on the small hook shaped part to the left of if, then to the take up lever.
Per the instructions, the thread does NOT go in to the hole in the thread regulator (hook shaped part) for normal sewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549746[/ATTACH]

It is used for DARNING OR EMBROIDERING shown later in the manual.

As Mickey2 mentioned,
  • "check for fluff, threads, etc" (remember "Marge" had that tiny bit of thread your DH picked out with a pin to get it "purring along")
  • "Double check for correct threading" (both bobbin & needle)
  • "The 99 is a very nice machine when cleaned, oiled and set up right." (True of most these vintage machines)

Something else to double check - the pressure regulating dial and the throat plate position. Don't ask me how I know about pressure changing the thread tension .

Good luck on getting all your machines purring nicely again.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails 99-threadingupper.jpg