301 - finally found

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM

I have found that some areas are much better for finding a treasure like this. Down south is one of them---congrats on finding what you were looking for. I do know that patience is what it takes if you do not want pay a high price. I wanted a fw so badly (my much younger niece got my Grannys) and after waiting and looking for20 years, I found little Anna (named after my Granny) at a yard sale for $15.00 Patience and never stop looking are what pay off.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Thanks everyone!
Update - it was dry as a bone. I cleaned up some dried oil or grease near the top gears, but, other than that, gave it a Tri-FLow drink and put some motor lube in the motor well. It isn't whisper quiet I think a few more sessions on it will give the Tri-Flow a better chance to do it's job.
Alyce,
The motor in in this machine has a sealed upper bearing that was factory packed with grease. They tend to get loud and whiney after all these years because the grease is now hardened. There's two options for quieting them down. One is to remove the motor and replace that upper bearing. Not expensive and not hard to do, but an easier fix is to give that upper bearing a couple drops of 30wt. motor oil and run the machine for 5-10 minutes to allow it to soften that grease up. It only takes a minute or two before you'll start hearing the difference. The reason for the 30wt. instead of regular sewing machine oil or Tri Flow is that it's thicker and won't run out the bottom of the bearing before it gets a chance to do it's job.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM

$30, what a deal! I got my black one for $40 with attachments and in a table but I like the suitcase better. Beautiful two-tone, too. I love reading about these great deals.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Alyce,
The motor in in this machine has a sealed upper bearing that was factory packed with grease. They tend to get loud and whiney after all these years because the grease is now hardened. There's two options for quieting them down. One is to remove the motor and replace that upper bearing. Not expensive and not hard to do, but an easier fix is to give that upper bearing a couple drops of 30wt. motor oil and run the machine for 5-10 minutes to allow it to soften that grease up. It only takes a minute or two before you'll start hearing the difference. The reason for the 30wt. instead of regular sewing machine oil or Tri Flow is that it's thicker and won't run out the bottom of the bearing before it gets a chance to do it's job.

Cari
Cari - it is quieter after running for a while. I put the singer motor lube in the motor well. I've not heard of using motor oil!!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I've not heard of using motor oil!!
Only in that upper bearing. This is also for the 400/500 series of machines and any others that have that same sealed bearing. This is something I learned from a long time Singer man.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM

Thumbs up

*** You wiggle a lot when you dance.
*** Good deal.
*** I paid more than that and mine had NO attachments or case.
*** Mine is the solid colored one.

Last edited by jbj137; 08-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.