Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: 301A to FMQ -- Hot foot pedal -- what to do??

  1. #11
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Do you use just a damp Q-tip or do you use something else to clean it with?
    I used a pencil eraser.
    I described it here last year:
    http://www.archaicarcane.com/what-a-pile-of/
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

  2. #12
    Senior Member Stitch124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Usually in my sewing room
    Posts
    801
    Archaic-- I love your way of explaining things...especially the "from personal experience" angle.

    Yet this time I think I'm going with buying a new foot pedal. I've rebuilt one too many FW's and now thinking I'd much rather sew than rebuild. Thanks for the tear-down lesson, I may get my DH to work on this for me.

    Julie

  3. #13
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,968
    From what I have found ( not that much compared to some ) Singer foot controllers are rated at around 1.0 amp. I just picked up two 158- Series Kenmores that have 1.2 amp rated foot controllers. I'm going to have to replace the wiring on one due to rodents gnawing on the cords. But before I do that I'm gonna check my LSMG to see if he has a complete cord set up. If so I'll use the extra controller on one of the machines that the foot pedal gets hot just to see how much different it works.
    Or maybe the Kenmores will answer the question themselves.

    Joe

  4. #14
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,968
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I used a pencil eraser.
    I described it here last year:
    http://www.archaicarcane.com/what-a-pile-of/
    Tammi,

    Thanks for all your trouble. Now I have some instructions to go by when I work these things over.
    I've got a couple of them with the "sudden WOT" syndrome and some that won't go fast to save their souls. But thankfully most of them work OK.
    Now, do you have any tutorials on how to work on and adjust the old Mercury type foot controllers?????

    Joe

  5. #15
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
    Archaic-- I love your way of explaining things...especially the "from personal experience" angle.

    Yet this time I think I'm going with buying a new foot pedal. I've rebuilt one too many FW's and now thinking I'd much rather sew than rebuild. Thanks for the tear-down lesson, I may get my DH to work on this for me.

    Julie
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's probably one of my 3 most viewed articles on the site.

    Technically, you don't have to go through and do all the disks, you can probably get away with the adjustment only ( http://www.archaicarcane.com/singerattheraces/ ) . It takes me about 30 mins to do the whole adjustment and disk cleaning, sitting in front of a tv show to do it.

    I totally get why you'd want to sew instead of tweak though. I don't really get any sewing done lately.

    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I just picked up two 158- Series Kenmores that have 1.2 amp rated foot controllers. I'm going to have to replace the wiring on one due to rodents gnawing on the cords.
    The Kenmore pedals I've opened had 3 wires in them, all black, so you may have a date with a multimeter coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Tammi,

    Thanks for all your trouble. Now I have some instructions to go by when I work these things over.
    I've got a couple of them with the "sudden WOT" syndrome and some that won't go fast to save their souls. But thankfully most of them work OK.
    Now, do you have any tutorials on how to work on and adjust the old Mercury type foot controllers?????

    Joe
    Hey Joe,

    Use the link I posted for Julie above too for dismantelling and adjustment. The one on the FW I picked up last month had been adjusted to probably almost as far as it could go inside the ceramic. It's the one that tried to light on fire while I viewed it.

    The "won't go fast" ones may need the little metal tabs (I mentioned them in that link above for Julie) bent down a little, or the plate that shorts to them may be too low, so it can't short. I think that's what I've found in the past on the slow and steady ones.

    I don't think I have any of the mercury controllers here. Can you post a pic of one? Most of mine are carbon pile (Singer and a few of the Japanese ones), solid state (Singer) or electronic (Singer and aftermarket).
    Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.