Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 604 Singer

604 Singer

We had junk night in our town and I found this sewing machine. A 604 Singer. It did come in a cabinet and we took it out of that. It seems to run fine except, it won't move the the fabric under the presser foot. The feed dogs are up. It didn't have a bobbin in it and not sure what kind it needs. Also noticed there is no place to wind a bobbin. It also has the words Auto reel on it. Can anyone help me?
    Name:  P4170196.JPG
Views: 1463
Size:  74.2 KB
    Name:  P4170197.JPG
Views: 1351
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  P4170198.JPG
Views: 1340
Size:  58.4 KB
    Mary

Blog Entries
    That last picture, the lever needs to be down onto the right side then I think your feed dogs will work. It is for the throat plate. I hope that is right. I have one too.

Yep, that's right. The lever needs to be all the way to the right.

As for filling the bobbins that might be on the top cover. And I think it takes Class 66 bobbins. If the bobbin carrier is plastic, use plastic bobbins. If metal use metal.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Isn't this one of the machines where the bobbin fills in place? Pretty blue!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Isn't that what that button on the right is? Golly, I've forgotten. YOu push it down and the bobbin fills like Charlee says? Then have to push it up.? It has been so long since I've seen mine.
    Last edited by barny; 04-17-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Sorry bout that. I was mistaken. Here's the link to the Singer Site free download owners manual for the 604:
    http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...3ae171e271.pdf

It's a straight stitch, slant needle, with a fill in place bobbin. Uses a strange looking plastic bobbin.

Joe

It is a wind in place bobbin...you can get the bobbins...but there are 3 different wind in place bobbins available. I think this is the one with the white markings on the bobbin. It definately is not the one with the little sensor in the c
    enter.
    Good solid machine....
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I had one of these. Loved the bobbins as they came apart so you could take remaining thread without pulling it off. Great machine I had mine for over 30 years and and never had to service just clean it. Great find.

Thanks everyone. I did all the adjusting as listed in the manual. I don't have a bobbin that it needs so nothing in the bobbin case and still it won't move the fabric. Wow if a person has problem with a machine this is the place to look. All kinds of help.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Actually, I think you need to have the button to the left that says "unlock", so the feed dogs move. I beleive that this machine had feed dogs that were down, up and stationary, and up and moving. Worth a try.

Try www.sew-classic.com for bobbins. They are called top hat bobbins.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast