604 Singer

Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Nice find, good luck getting it to work.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Running into this thread is why I got a login. I had one that looked like this, and I was to understand the model number was 602, but. The lever should be to the right, so the feed dogs engage. Lever to the left, will allow you to pop the throat plate off. Messups in the bottom where the bobbin drops into, the shuttle part that brings the thread around, was a common issue and that would cause issues with my feed dogs.

The bobbins were called 'touch N sew', came in 2 packs. I still see them for sale. The two sides are uneven, one side is wider, and unscrew as well, to two halves.

I hope you got it running. I loved the infinite stitch length dial, the NO HOLD reverse (slide lever all the way up and you could lock it there) and wind the bobbin in place.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Welcome aboard OkieSew! I haven't seen this thread before now. Interesting machine. Not quite a Touch & Sew but it does have the Touch & Sew bobbin arrangement.
Rodney
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM

When you did the adjusting per the manual, did you change the stitch length lever, the up and down one on the right front? In your first photo, it looks like it is set just a hair above Fine (not sure what that says), which might have it set for stitching in place, like tacking a thread. I would set it down in the 10 or 12 area. It is likey that every person who passed by that machine had a go at twisting or turning anything that would move. In the machines I see in thrift stores, 9 out of 10 with the internal bobbin winder have it engaged.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
When you did the adjusting per the manual, did you change the stitch length lever, the up and down one on the right front?
Obviously, I was asleep at the switch when I posted, not realizing what the date was.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM

I was in a thrift store 2 days ago and I found 3 Singer Touch-and-Sew machines, 2 Golden and 1 non-Golden. One in a cabinet, one in a case, and the other on the shelf. Strange.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 AM

I see Touch & Sews at the thrift shop more than any other machine type. They don't tempt me though. I've heard so many negative things about them, and there's something about their looks (esp. the golden ones) that I just don't like. I even passed up one that was marked $7.50, although later I sort of regretted it. I should have bought it just to play with, I've never used one so I should at least TRY one. It might have been broken though, I didn't really give it much of a look.

When I see them in cabinets I look; I want a small cabinet for my Rocketeer. I spied a golden T&S in a small cabinet recently and got all excited at the $30 price tag, but then I realized the cabinet was horrible. It wasn't wood!!! It was thin plastic, molded and colored to look like wood. You know how pleasant it feels/sounds to open & close a nice wood cabinet? This was the opposite of that experience. Too bad, it was just the right size.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 AM

Sewnoma I actually like Touch & Sews. If you can find a 600 or 603, they have metal gears. The Touch & Sews are descended from the 400 and 500 series machines and are pretty similar inside. The one big thing about them is keep an owner's manual handy. They're capable of a lot but are not intuitive to use.

Cabinet quality took a huge hit sometime in the 1960s or 70s when they started being made from wonderful things like particle board and plastic laminate. I don't even bother with those ones. I strip the hardware and burn them. Older cabinets OTOH are worth the effort to refinish when needed.
Rodney
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM

And there are differences in the early ones, as machines labeled 600 or 603 are the auto reel design, with the bobbin fill button on the bed. The 603 I have actually has a touch and sew label riveted onto the plastic where it would say auto reel. If there is an E after the number, it was manufactured in New Jersey and will be a true Touch and Sew with the bobbin fill button under the slide plate. Aside from the location of the bobbin fill button, the main difference I know of is that the Touch and Sew versions will chain stitch with the proper accessories, but the Auto Reel machines can't. I still need to get the 600E working so that I can try it.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM

Maybe next time I see a sad and lonely T&S I'll bring it home. (Now that I've said that, I'll never see one again!)

I am seriously in love with my 500A. I loved it for its looks long before I owned one, and now that I actually have one I really really enjoy sewing on it, much more than I expected. As soon as I find a cabinet she's going to be set up where I can use her a lot easier, I'm looking forward to that!