Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99k - trouble with bobbin winder >

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Darn it, I was just at Ace buying mousetraps and forgot to look for a bulb. Oh, well, getting the mouse out of my sewing room is more important right now!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 PM

We had mice get in the house a couple winters ago. I prefer Decon over traps. Just keep it away from your pets if you have any. I hope you get the nasty little thing quickly. It's amazing how destructive something that small can be.
Rodney
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Set two traps, mouse licked one clean without setting it off. Score: Mouse - 1, Me - 0.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The 99K's take a standard 5/8", screw in base, 15W bulb. If your machine has the fish eye light housing it originally had a round bulb in it. Those are not available any more but the regular bulbs will fit.
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bulb...att-2SCW-F.htm }
If you go to a hardware store make sure the bulb is no bigger than 15W or this is what will happen:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511655[/ATTACH]

I've yet to find a correct sewing machine type bulb at a hdwr store. I've found others that would work, but they are all weird shaped bulbs.
Joe
OUCH! Is that a 185 with a hole burned in the light fixture?
The 15w bulbs my husband picked up at the Ace Hardware store in Chehalis are the same as the ones I have for Kenmore and Singer machines I have. He did get two of the 25w round ones, but I suspect they are meant for something like an oven or vent hood.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Set two traps, mouse licked one clean without setting it off. Score: Mouse - 1, Me - 0.
I've had good luck with peanut butter on the traps. When I used decon, they got even by dying in the walls or in a drop ceiling.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM

So, I was able to tighten the bobbin winder assembly enough to wind a good bobbin. Now on to the next part - the bobbin is too tight for the case. I can't pull any thread at all through the tension slot. Is this likely to be a problem with the bobbin case tension or is it because these Class 66 bobbins are the cheap Singer ones from JoAnns? I have some on order from Sew-Classic, I'm just impatient to get my machine up and running!

PS - it's now Mouse-2, me-0. Must be a smart mouse or a bad trap!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 PM

If the mouse is licking off the peanut butter without setting off the trap, try tying the peanut butter on with a small strip of nylon stocking. Their little feet get tangled in the nylon and set off the trap when struggling to get free. Or, do what I did and get an electric trap. To get to the peanut butter, they have to step on the electrodes. Zap! One fried mouse.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM

My red eye treadle didn't care for the cheap plastic bobbins from Joann's. The bobbin winder rubbed some of the inner side off while it was winding. It fit in the bobbin case but it threw the tension off when I tried stitching. Only tried it once and then stuck with my old bobbins since. I would wait until you have some good bobbins.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Don't use denatured alcohol on the handwheel! You don't want alcohol anywhere near the black paint!

You can use it to clean the rubber tire, but again don't get it on the paint. It looks to me like the handwheel might not be fully seated? Did you take it off? Be sure it is back on all the way..maybe that is why the bobbin winder is not rubbing the wheel.

I would get a new tire for it. They're very inexpensive.
Denatured alcohol will not hurt the hand wheel, no shellac, no decals, just the paint. I've used it many times and not one hand wheel was damaged.

Joe
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
OUCH! Is that a 185 with a hole burned in the light fixture?
The 15w bulbs my husband picked up at the Ace Hardware store in Chehalis are the same as the ones I have for Kenmore and Singer machines I have. He did get two of the 25w round ones, but I suspect they are meant for something like an oven or vent hood.
elnan,
Yes that's a 185. I've been looking for a replacement light fixture but so far no success. I might have to use a black one and try to match the paint color.

Do not use those 25 watt bulbs in the sewing machines. They are too hot. If you find 15 W bulbs that's OK.

Joe