Another disappointment

Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Another disappointment

I even sent the seller a picture showing the exact measurement I needed, and he responded, "it's just under two inches"

well, the machine arrived, and after oil and coaxing, I got the slide plate off and it measures 1.4". I had told the seller it would measure just under 1.5" or a bit over 1.75" . I doubt the seller even removed the slide plate, and just guessed from the back side. Wish he had told me that - would have saved a lot of disappointment.

So, after three machines, I'm STILL looking for an early Eldredge that takes the longer shuttle.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Sorry to see that. I don't even know what to say about the seller. Nothing positive though.
Rodney
Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Banned

Well, if it was on Ebay I would be asking for a refund.... (I would probably ask either way) Sorry to hear that.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:22 PM

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/4924671900.html
Just throwing this one out there. My husband will be driving there next week.
Helen Ann
Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Helen, that is a pretty one, however that is a National Eldredge - so I know it will take the shorter shuttle. I'm also going to be in St. Louis in a few weeks - have a good friend in the area, and she's holding a machine and a Boye display case for me. I'm excited about the case, because I asked her what number was by White - and she said 16. The one I already have has a copywrite of 1922 on it. It also says it's the property of Boye and it is unlawful for anyone to sell the display LOL!!

I don't think I'll ask for my money back, would rather keep the machine then send it back. Kind of feel like I rescued it and don't want to "unrescue" it. Seller did admit they tried to measure from the back side, but most have no clue what they re even looking at. It's why I send the picture that shows what I need measured.

BTW - this is the picture I send - telling them I need that exact measurement.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Hi Cathy,

Your looking for a machine that uses the long Eldredge shuttle? Is this Boye 22? Trying to follow along.

Boye 16 is for the White Rotary and wasn't quite sure why that was exciting Looks like your giving the new Eldredge an new lease on life. Enjoy.

Jon
Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Jon,

Yes, the Boye 22. I have machines for the other 11 Boye shuttles. I'm not after a machine to take each of the Boye needles, though I think I'm pretty close there without meaning too.

Let's see 2-Household, yep, 2.5 Free/New Home Rotary, SewHandy - yep, 4 New Home VS machines, yep, 6, Standard VS machines -Yep, 8 Demorest, Domestic -yep, 10 Davis machines (not oldest or newest) - yep, 12, White, New Florence -yep, 14 National machines- yep, 16 - Singer, later Davis, Yep, 18 WW 9,yep 20 Davis - old yep, 20.5 Wilcox Gibs, National Automatic - yep, 21 not sure, says "Damascus Grand Rotary" and I'm getting one, but they also made this name with the later machine that takes a different needle. This would be for the earlier version. 23 -Singer round shank - possibly, not sure though. 24 Royal St. John, yep, 26 American #7 - yep, 27 WW #8 - nope.

Darn it about the Boye case, I was hoping it was the older one where they had White and Singer numbers switched (along with several others) I wasn't thinking about that the very last White VS machine took the Singer style shuttle/needle. On a good note, she did say it had a lot of tubs in it, so all is not lost. I should have asked her what number was listed for Singer - the pre 1907 cases have it listed as 11/12 and the post 1906 ones have it 15/16

I have several tubes from an old case, and they have the "other" ones in them. Something to be aware of if buying old Boye stock - the really old stuff is numbered differently. At least it's real easy to tell a White shuttle from a Singer shuttle.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Cathy,

Nice collection, usually the needles and shuttles come after the sewing machine. Have you tried these National / Eldredge badged machines for your missing Boye 22 ---Arlington, Belvidere, Columbia, Empress, House & Farm, Idalia, Majestic, Matchless, Old Homestead, Pride, and Pritzlaff?

I picked up a pack of National / Eldredge long bobbins and they were marked National "short". Didn't realize there was a long before then. I got the short long bobbins :< but they appear to be more common.

Jon
Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 AM

the "short" National is way more common. The long ones were only used in Eldredge machine prior to the merge with June - so before National came into existence.

From what I've found contacting sellers, I think many early Eldredge got converted to the short shuttle. Even on the Boye case, for these two, it says "If too long use . . ." and "If too short use . . ." They are indentical except for length.

I did find an Idalia machine - it looked identical to the one I just got, that the seller sent a picture that it did in fact take the longer shuttle. Unfortunately he had it in a table, pick up only on the east coast.

However, I was going over some of the "Junk" I am sending your way (remember - you asked!) and found a few longer shuttle carriers that may be what I'm after. I suppose it could be considered cheating if I converted one to take the longer shuttle LOL!!

I think I've got enough(junk) to fill a large size priority box - IIRC, you also wanted needle paraphernalia - I also have a pack of Boye Phonograph needles. One never knows what will show up with sewing supplies! My shed is suppose to be ready for painting Easter weekend - and just got the budget cycle wrapped up at work, so it's time to get some of my collection organized.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:14 AM

Cathy , How do you tell it is a National?
HelenAnn