Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bali Pops disappointment

Blog Entries
    Those little packages are not cheap for the strips to be so wonky cut. I am very disappointed. I bought three packages and each package has different size width strips, some cut with a curve. The shop I bought them from said they are hand cut and it is to be expected to have variations in the cuts it even states it on the package. OK. I won't be buying any more Bali Pops. :evil:

Blog Entries
    Wow! I had no idea they were so badly cut! I've been tempted to buy them in the past because the color combinations are so luscious, but I definitely don't want to pay that much for strips that are not evenly cut. What's the matter with the company? Can't they afford to die cut the strips???

First-sorry you had such a bad experience, especially buying three sets and you are right they aren't cheap. I was going to buy a set at the quilt show last weekend and passed. Then considered ordering them online but talked myself out of it because I have other things that really need to be done. Maybe that's the reason I kept procrastinating. I guess I won't buy those.

The question is -were these cut but the manufacturer or by a third party? I know I've purchsed "Jelly rolls" on ebay that were were cut by a third party and I wasn't very pleased but I can't see a manufacturer (ie Moda) allowing for such variance. I think I would ask for my money back

I had the same problem with some I purchased online. I emailed both the shop where I purchased them and Hoffman Fabrics. I was offered a replacement from both places. Hoffman's replied that there had been some quality control issues at the factory in Indonesia where the strips are cut which have now been taken care of, but that there may still be a few out there that don't meet their standards. Perhaps yours is one of them.

It's disappointing that the shop you purchased from won't replace them. I would definitely contact Hoffman fabrics since they are the fabric manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by paintedquilt
    The question is -were these cut but the manufacturer or by a third party? I know I've purchsed "Jelly rolls" on ebay that were were cut by a third party and I wasn't very pleased but I can't see a manufacturer (ie Moda) allowing for such variance. I think I would ask for my money back
    Me too! That is a drag!

You paid too much money for these to be displeased!! With the economy the way it is, I'd contact Hoffman and let them know how disappointed you are and do they want to still have you as a customer? I'm sure if they care, they'll make it right. It only takes one time for something like this to really hurt their business, word of mouth is a STRONG way of advertising and this board is HUGE!!!

Blog Entries
    The label says Hoffman Fabrics
    Bali Pops

Fabric strips are hand cut. Slight variations in width may occur.

Always remember to read everything on any label.

Blog Entries
    That may be the store's excuse for not replacing them, but I'd still complain to the manufacturer. The variations you describe are excessive, and they will know it. After all, they market these to quilters and must understand the importance of accurate cuts to their customers!

I could understand a *slight* variation in width, but there should be every expectation that they are at least cut straight, i.e., no curve! I'd contact Hoffman and get them in the loop to your issue.

I bought two pack and I am trying to work with them but they are cut horribly. I have know idea if this quilt will come out straight or not. I read the label about the warning and I knew before I even opened them that they were probably going to be poor quality.

I will never buy pre-cut fabric again and I am not please using batiks either.

Blog Entries
    The original jelly roll and other pre cuts are Moda and I haven't had a problem with those at all. I love Moda precuts.

They are very poorly cut. A few weeks ago, in another thread, I said that mine were cut o.k., but now that I am actually sewing them together, I see that they are definitely NOT o.k. I am having to constantly measure to make sure I get all strips 2" wide from top to bottom; therefore, the seam allowances range from 3/8" to 5/8" and that range can be in just one 8-1/2" section. I am managing to get them where and how I want them (or so it seems), but I cannot do it without consistently measuring as I attach each piece. It's a good thing I'm not in a big hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Those little packages are not cheap for the strips to be so wonky cut. I am very disappointed. I bought three packages and each package has different size width strips, some cut with a curve. The shop I bought them from said they are hand cut and it is to be expected to have variations in the cuts it even states it on the package. OK. I won't be buying any more Bali Pops. :evil:
    2 friends and I purchased Hoffman Bali Pops for a class involving stars with narrow triangles........We all actually gave up because the strips were cut so poorly.....some were just under 2" wide, others 2 1/4, and others over 2 1/2" wide...........there were "V"s where fabric had been folded........just a MESS. These were purchased in a LQS and were factory cut......not cut be the shop or another party....All 3 of us complained to Hoffman, in writing (email) and what we got back was basically these were cut in Indonesia, and we should not expect the stripts to be accurate like those that would be cut in the States. No offer to replace, no offer of any reimbursement......and we paid almost $35 apiece for those rolls...............I have NEVER had a problem with Moda's jelly rolls...........but the Bali Pops were something else. Will never buy those again..............

that is very disappointing. i can't believe that they blame their indonesia factory for this poorly made strips and no offer to replace. i won't be buying these that's for sure--i hate it when things are poorly cut, besides i can cut poorly by myself already!!!LOL. The moda stuff is awesome, never had any problems with any of their precuts!! thanks for letting us all know about this company and their issues. i do hope that they get on the ball and fix it for their sake!!

Yes thank you. I too have been tempted. No more!!!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree with Eddie, contact Hoffman!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I could understand a *slight* variation in width, but there should be every expectation that they are at least cut straight, i.e., no curve! I'd contact Hoffman and get them in the loop to your issue.

Time to make some fabric bowls with all the wonky cut pieces!

I have a Balipop that I haven't opened yet that I plan on using in a jelly roll pattern. Thanks for the heads-up to check the measurements. If worse comes to worse, hopefully I can cut them all down to 2" or something if I have to and cut them straight.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I have a Balipop that I haven't opened yet that I plan on using in a jelly roll pattern. Thanks for the heads-up to check the measurements. If worse comes to worse, hopefully I can cut them all down to 2" or something if I have to and cut them straight.
    I have a Bali I have not opened and now hesitate to make plans for it. I am going to check and take it back to the shop where I got it, if there is a problem. I love the layer cakes and charm packs. I have only used Moda.
    Thanks for the info!

Update: I finished making my blocks. I order two different types of colors (1) was the blues (1) browns.

The blues were absoultely horrible nothing cut straight, curves, even the ends didn't match up.

The browns were better. They still were not straight but at least they didn't have curves in them.

I still cannot recommend buying them. You will do better to buy fat quarters and and cutting the strips yourself.

I'm so glad I read this! I have been tempted to by these because I love batiks. I will continue to make my own selections and build my stash with 1/4 yd or more so I can play with designs and fabrics.

What a shame for you ... and Hoffman Fabrics should be ASHAMED for selling an inferior product !! Saying they are "handcut" is NO excuse for POORLY cut or WRONGLY cut.
    I LOVE batiks - AND precuts - the only reason I haven't bought one of the Pops yet, I need to use my batik stash!

Why would any quilter choose to buy a PRECUT product - if it isn't uniform or reliable? That's crazy - and Hoffman is wrong for selling them - knowing they are poorly done. They should just call them "Scrap Pops" Hah

I've bought MANY a precut from Moda and only had 1 problem - 1 charm pack had some distorted squares. I called and they sent me another right away. No wonder Moda has cornered the quilting market!

Blog Entries
    I have looked at jelly rolls , but never been tempted because of the price. I will cut my own. Also am not tempted by the batiks. Looks like another good decision on my part although unintentional. Just don't have the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I almost bought some the other day, glad I passed on them. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast