Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bali Pops disappointment >
  • Bali Pops disappointment

• Bali Pops disappointment

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 AM

Update: I finished making my blocks. I order two different types of colors (1) was the blues (1) browns.

The blues were absoultely horrible nothing cut straight, curves, even the ends didn't match up.

The browns were better. They still were not straight but at least they didn't have curves in them.

I still cannot recommend buying them. You will do better to buy fat quarters and and cutting the strips yourself.
    Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM

I'm so glad I read this! I have been tempted to by these because I love batiks. I will continue to make my own selections and build my stash with 1/4 yd or more so I can play with designs and fabrics.
    Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM

What a shame for you ... and Hoffman Fabrics should be ASHAMED for selling an inferior product !! Saying they are "handcut" is NO excuse for POORLY cut or WRONGLY cut.
    I LOVE batiks - AND precuts - the only reason I haven't bought one of the Pops yet, I need to use my batik stash!

Why would any quilter choose to buy a PRECUT product - if it isn't uniform or reliable? That's crazy - and Hoffman is wrong for selling them - knowing they are poorly done. They should just call them "Scrap Pops" Hah

I've bought MANY a precut from Moda and only had 1 problem - 1 charm pack had some distorted squares. I called and they sent me another right away. No wonder Moda has cornered the quilting market!
    Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 AM

I have looked at jelly rolls , but never been tempted because of the price. I will cut my own. Also am not tempted by the batiks. Looks like another good decision on my part although unintentional. Just don't have the $$$
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Those little packages are not cheap for the strips to be so wonky cut. I am very disappointed. I bought three packages and each package has different size width strips, some cut with a curve. The shop I bought them from said they are hand cut and it is to be expected to have variations in the cuts it even states it on the package. OK. I won't be buying any more Bali Pops. :evil:
    I almost bought some the other day, glad I passed on them. Thanks for the info.
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
    Power Poster

I buy Moda Jelly Rolls when I find them on sale for $20. I like the Layer Cakes too. I don't mind paying a little more for the precuts because I get every color of that one fabric line. It's hard to resist not buying a jelly roll or charm pack every once in a while.
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
    Time to make some fabric bowls with all the wonky cut pieces!
    Thanks! That's exactly what I am going to do with these. I am going to make as big a baskets as I can sew to hold my scraps. At least I have a good use for them.
    Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM

I bought a mint chip one and was so excited to get it because I loved the colours in it but I was disappointed to find that it was also wonky cut. Now what am I supposed to do with it? I emailed Hoffman over a month ago and have not received a response. I think maybe I'll make a tote bag of something with it, something not as involved or needing to be accurate like a quilt. I'll also never buy anything precut again.
    Ev
    Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM

the moda precuts have been correct every time that i have bought them.
    Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
    Power Poster

I can't stand it if my own cuts are off, let alone paying for precuts that are worse! The thing that bothers me most is they go offshore to cut costs and then use that as an excuse for an inferior product. Send them a note and vote with your feet!