Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bali Pops disappointment >

Bali Pops disappointment

Bali Pops disappointment

Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Beware: I recently purchased a Moda Charm Pack (online, through the Fat Quarter Shop) and some of the squares were rather wonky cut and I had to do my best to try to square them up properly. It was disappointing. Luckily, I'm just using the charms to make a cute little baby quilt and I doubt that anyone will ever notice if it is a tad bit "off" here and there. But, after this experience I do not think that I want to trust using pre cuts on any quilt where it really matters.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 AM

If ya'll are not seeing it, the key word here is Indonesia. They are turning out a crappy product & management doesn't care. When you have dirt cheap labor, you get a dirt cheap made or cut product. Bring it back home to the good ole USA.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
What a shame for you ... and Hoffman Fabrics should be ASHAMED for selling an inferior product !! Saying they are "handcut" is NO excuse for POORLY cut or WRONGLY cut.
I LOVE batiks - AND precuts - the only reason I haven't bought one of the Pops yet, I need to use my batik stash!

Why would any quilter choose to buy a PRECUT product - if it isn't uniform or reliable? That's crazy - and Hoffman is wrong for selling them - knowing they are poorly done. They should just call them "Scrap Pops" Hah

I've bought MANY a precut from Moda and only had 1 problem - 1 charm pack had some distorted squares. I called and they sent me another right away. No wonder Moda has cornered the quilting market!
I'm going to have to look into Moda.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I've bought MANY a precut from Moda and only had 1 problem - 1 charm pack had some distorted squares. I called and they sent me another right away. No wonder Moda has cornered the quilting market!
Good for you! I should have done the same and notified Moda that some of my charm squares were distorted. Good to know that Moda backs up their products.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

True batiks are made in overseas. That's the beauty of them, no where in the US makes them that way. I guess the Bali Pops are just left over lot ends that are being cut instead of being in the scrap pile. They are beautiful, just wonky cut. I think they should be marketed as scrap strips. That would be more truthful and I would know what I was paying for.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Hi
I do not mean to change the subject....but, I tried to enter a new thread and it never showed up. I cannot find how to start a new thread. Can anyone help me?
Thank you
Linda
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM

And I just saw more of these Pops in recent catalogs from Nancys Notions, Keepsake etc ... and I noticed that none mention these are "handcut" or having any variations.

I'm sure they've all heard from unhappy Pop customers as well ...

Fix the product or sell it for what it REALLY is ... Bali "Scraps" !! or Bali "Odds n Ends" :(
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Those little packages are not cheap for the strips to be so wonky cut. I am very disappointed. I bought three packages and each package has different size width strips, some cut with a curve. The shop I bought them from said they are hand cut and it is to be expected to have variations in the cuts it even states it on the package. OK. I won't be buying any more Bali Pops. :evil:
2 friends and I purchased Hoffman Bali Pops for a class involving stars with narrow triangles........We all actually gave up because the strips were cut so poorly.....some were just under 2" wide, others 2 1/4, and others over 2 1/2" wide...........there were "V"s where fabric had been folded........just a MESS. These were purchased in a LQS and were factory cut......not cut be the shop or another party....All 3 of us complained to Hoffman, in writing (email) and what we got back was basically these were cut in Indonesia, and we should not expect the stripts to be accurate like those that would be cut in the States. No offer to replace, no offer of any reimbursement......and we paid almost $35 apiece for those rolls...............I have NEVER had a problem with Moda's jelly rolls...........but the Bali Pops were something else. Will never buy those again..............
Because I am such a stickler that people should treat me right, I would write to your LQS & Hoffman. Maybe print off some of these comments and tell them that although some people have complained and Hoffman has answered in the way they did, you paid a great deal of money for these 3 packs (poor soul)

:roll: that you will get your satisfaction somehow. And that will be by joining every quilt group on the internet you can find and tell them about your mishap with this miserable quality control issue Hoffman has had with this Bali pops have had. Curves in strips - excuse me, what do they think you are going to use this stuff for???? Tell them it will be your great pleasure to inform everyone you can find who will listen about this problem that they don't seem inclined to fix.
Customer satisfaction is very important and there is one way to show them how.
Anyway, that is what I'd do. :mrgreen:
Judi
Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LINANN
Hi
I do not mean to change the subject....but, I tried to enter a new thread and it never showed up. I cannot find how to start a new thread. Can anyone help me?
Thank you
Linda

Click on Create New Topic and an empty post screen will pop up.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Sorry to hear of all the disappointments - friends recently got hooked on scrappy strip quilts, so these Bali Pops and badly formed jelly rolls sound ideal if you have the patience to use them up - google "scrappy strip quilts" and you will find lots of inspiration, especially under the wonder cut ruler!!