Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping.

Another example of how NOT to pack a sewing machine for shipping.

Let's see, what I was bidding on...
    Name:  freight damage lousy pkg2.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  355.0 KB
    How it arrived...
    Name:  2014-03-24 17.55.24.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  130.6 KBName:  2014-03-24 17.56.33.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  146.6 KBthe plus side is, if I keep it, more polishing towels
    .Name:  2014-03-24 17.56.54.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  185.1 KBName:  2014-03-24 17.57.25.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  191.0 KB How bout that nice walnut base? grrrr...Name:  2014-03-24 18.25.55.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  194.9 KB
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

On top of that, I have another one that I "won", but my communications with the seller haven't been very comforting. I described how I'd like it to be packaged. This hasn't usually had any effect in the past, but oh well, gotta try. He says he'll do what I described "accept (sic) " that he would be using popcorn instead of bubble wrap. But it would be okay because it's the biodegradable green stuff that doesn't crumble. I tried to explain that dense heavy metallic objects are going to settle to the bottom of the box, and the SM will poke thru, and the small parts will fall out. It could be expected if the shipper had only a couple sales under their belt, but you'd think sellers with more than a thousand sales would do better. Oh well, enough of my ranting... buyer beware, as usual.
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"

Any additional charges for critters????

Jon

Oh that's heartbreaking! I see a big red negative coming on that rating.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

that sucks big time. That seller deserves a big Negative feedback score on the shipping aspect for sure.
    1939 Singer 221, 1926 Singer 15-88 treadle, 1980 Singer Starlet 496, 1947 Singer 201-3, 1916 Singer 99k Handcrank

I will run thru the appropriate steps and give them a chance to make it up. I just wish there was a meddling add-on that would pop up when someone posts a sewing machine for auction, with "tips on packing a sewing machine".
    Jim

I wonder what percentage of machines sold via ebay actually arrived undamaged?... It's so discouraging. On the plus side, it makes all of our machines worth more because they're slowly becoming rare or extinct thanks to dumb-dumb shippers:<

Harsh. But at least it looks like the machine itself survived.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
    On top of that, I have another one that I "won", but my communications with the seller haven't been very comforting. I described how I'd like it to be packaged. This hasn't usually had any effect in the past, but oh well, gotta try. He says he'll do what I described "accept (sic) " that he would be using popcorn instead of bubble wrap. But it would be okay because it's the biodegradable green stuff that doesn't crumble. I tried to explain that dense heavy metallic objects are going to settle to the bottom of the box, and the SM will poke thru, and the small parts will fall out. It could be expected if the shipper had only a couple sales under their belt, but you'd think sellers with more than a thousand sales would do better. Oh well, enough of my ranting... buyer beware, as usual.
    I'd start contacting sellers before you bid on a machine. I had a buyer do that on a machine I was selling on eBay, and we talked about packaging. His machine arrived safe and sound.
    Mark

It makes me so sad to see that. .... and keeps me from trying to sell a machine on eBay. I think I could pack one that wouldn't see any damage but they are so heavy..... so many problems...... I hope everything works out fine.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast